[BCMA] BC Paid sick leave

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Nov 24 13:56:37 PST 2021

Effective January 1, 2022, the vast majority of workers in B.C. no longer
have to choose between going to work sick or losing wages, as B.C.'s
first-ever permanent paid sick leave comes into effect with 5 paid sick
days each year. Both full- and part-time employees are eligible for this
benefit. To learn more click here
<https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/paid-sick-leave>
.

------------------------------
I'm a worker

Effective January 1, 2022, you can take up to 5 days of paid leave per
year for any personal illness or injury. Your employer may request
reasonably sufficient proof of illness.

This entitlement is in addition to the 3 days of unpaid sick
leave currently provided by the Employment Standards Act
<https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/employment-standards/time-off/taking-unexpected-time-off#yourself>
.

You must have worked with your employer for at least 90 days to be eligible
<https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/paid-sick-leave#eligibility>
for
the paid sick days.
------------------------------
I'm an employer

Effective January 1, 2022, you are required to provide your eligible
employees
<https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/paid-sick-leave#eligibility>
with
up to 5 days of paid sick leave per year if they need to stay home because
they are sick or injured.

You need to pay your employees their regular wages for these days. They do
not have to be taken consecutively.

Employees are also entitled to 3 days of unpaid sick leave
<https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/employment-standards/time-off/handling-disruptions#injury>
.
------------------------------
Eligibility

The paid sick leave entitlement applies to all employees covered by
the Employment
Standards Act (ESA)
<https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/00_96113_01>,
including part-time, temporary or casual employees.

The ESA doesn't cover certain types of employees, including:

   - Federally-regulated sectors
   - Self-employed workers or independent contractors
   - Employees in professions and occupations excluded from the ESA

Find out if employment standards apply to you.
<https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/employment-standards/do-employment-standards-apply-to-you>
------------------------------
Employment Standards

The law in B.C. sets standards for payment, compensation and working
conditions in most workplaces. The standards promote open communication,
fair treatment and work-life balance for employees. See what topics are
covered by employment standards.
<https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/employment-standards>

--

Lorenda Calvert
Programs Coordinator

Pronouns: she/her. To learn why pronouns are important, click here
<https://equity.ubc.ca/resources/gender-diversity/pronouns/>

<https://www.google.com/maps/search/675+Belleville+Street+%7C%7C+Victoria,+BC+%7C%7C+V8W+9W2+%0D%0A+%0D%0A+Office:+250?entry=gmail&source=g>
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/675+Belleville+Street+%7C%7C+Victoria,+BC+%7C%7C+V8W+9W2+%0D%0A+%0D%0A+Office:+250?entry=gmail&source=g>

museum.bc.ca <http://www.museum.bc.ca/>

*Roundup submissions are now open online! We now offer compensation to
contributors and are looking for articles about how you and your
institution are maintaining momentum! Find more details on our **website
<https://museum.bc.ca/roundup-magazine-submissions/>**.*