[BCMA] Internship Opportunity at Creston Museum

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Sat Nov 6 13:37:04 PDT 2021

The Creston Museum has an unexpected opportunity to offer a one-year
internship!

This position is funded through BC Arts Council’s Early Career Development
program, which normally requires a collaborative application between the
museum and the intern. The intern we had intended to hire is unable to join
us after all. BC Arts Council is encouraging us to work with another early
career practitioner instead.

So, if you are building your career in museums, here’s an opportunity to
tackle a project, get creative with strategies and solutions, gain solid
skills, build your professional network, and get a bit of a taste of pretty
much anything a small museum can throw at you.

To be eligible, you must:

·         Be working in a museum field (collections management, museum
education, curatorial practices, conservation, etc) or related field such
as arts administration, cultural management, community-based arts, multi-
or interdisciplinary artistic practice, independent curatorial practice,
etc; AND

·         Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who ordinarily
resides in BC, having lived in the province for at least 12 months; AND

·         Not be enrolled in full-time studies; AND EITHER

·         Have completed basic training in your discipline within the past
five years OR, if you are 30 years of age or younger, completed your basic
training within the past ten years; AND/OR

·         Identify as Indigenous (First Nations, Metis, or Inuit),
Racialized (Culturally Diverse, Person of Colour, Visible Minority), or
Deaf, a Person living with Disabilities and/or with Mental Illness; AND/OR

·         Live in a small and/or isolated community outside of greater
Vancouver or the capital region.

“Basic Training” means appropriate and relevant education that has prepared
you to work at a professional level, such as a degree or certificate from
an academic institution, or traditional knowledge transfer or
apprenticeship with a qualified, peer-recognised practitioner.

*What will you do while you’re here?*

Ideally, you are working to build your practice in community engagement
through object-based research and collections management, and can step into
the role we had designed with our intended intern (job description
attached). However, the Early Career Development program is all about
building YOUR skills and capacity and meeting YOUR career goals – so your
specific role and tasks here can be very flexible. If you’re interested in
joining our small team, but have a different focus in mind, let’s talk!

We are a community-focused museum, working hard to expand our presentation
to include the many people, voices, and challenges that have shaped, and
continue to shape, the Creston Valley. We offer an impressive array of
(COVID-friendly) on-site and off-site programming in collaboration with
community partners and have several exhibit development projects either on
the go or awaiting an opportunity, all supported by ever-growing object and
archival collections.

*To indicate your interest*, contact Tammy Bradford, Manager, at
250-428-9262 or tammy at crestonmuseum.ca, no later than 26 November 2021.

*Anticipated Start Date:* approximately February 2022

*Hours of Work:* 30-40 per week, depending on your needs; flex-time and
combined on-site/work-from-home options

*Compensation:* $18 per hour plus vacation pay, including four weeks paid
holidays and paid sick/personal days.

Tammy Bradford, Manager

Creston Museum

219 Devon Street, Creston BC V0B 1G3

250-428-9262

*The Creston Museum operates on the unceded traditional territory of Yaqan
Nukiy within the Ktunaxa Nation.*