[BCMA] Royal BC Museum Celebrates Asian Heritage Month

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue May 11 08:00:00 PDT 2021

*May 10, 2021*

*The Royal BC Museum Celebrates Asian Heritage Month *

*with Events, Pop-up Exhibits and Partnerships*

*VICTORIA, BC*—To commemorate Asian Heritage Month, this May the Royal BC
Museum is featuring online events, promoting the work of its partners and
offering plenty of resources to learn more about the experiences of Asian
settlers in BC.

The Royal BC Museum is committed to sharing and honouring these stories—and
those of other diverse settler communities in BC—in part as a
knowledge-based counterpoint to the recent rise of anti-Asian hate crimes
in BC.

“Understanding each other’s intercultural experiences through stories and
material culture empowers us to cultivate empathy and unites us in the work
towards our collective goal of social justice,” says Dr. Tzu-I Chung, Royal
BC Museum curator of history.

On May 4, the museum’s online RBCM at Home series featured a webinar
about the *Broken
Promises* <https://centre.nikkeiplace.org/exhibits/broken-promises/>
exhibit at the Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre. The exhibit, which
will travel to the Royal BC Museum in 2022, explores the dispossession of
Japanese Canadians in the 1940s. You can view a recording of the webinar
here
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rL-sjPDjHE&list=PLN9Hdj6yjKtUOPFuQ5dyoyj_C3NrktNCi&index=62>,
on the museum's YouTube channel.

On May 20, the RBCM at Outside series will focus on the “Hidden History of
Esquimalt Teahouse.” Participants can join us for a virtual walk and talk
about the history of the Japanese Teahouse in Esquimalt Gorge Park, in
Victoria. More info and a link to register is available here
<https://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/visit/events/calendar/event/110303/rbcmoutside-hidden-history-esquimalt-teahouse>.

And on May 26, RBCM at Home (Kids) will host “Into the Interior”, a
choose-your-own-adventure, interactive narrative game that follows two
Japanese Canadian siblings as they experience internment during the 1940s.
You can find more info and a link to register here
<https://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/visit/events/calendar/event/110273/rbcmhome-kids-interior>
.

The Royal BC Museum thanks the South Asian Studies Institute at the
University of the Fraser Valley for collaborating on a number of programs
that raise awareness of the significant role of South Asian Canadians in
BC’s history. You can learn more about our partnership projects, from
curriculum development to the interpretation of historic sites, here
<https://www.southasiancanadianheritage.ca/saclp/>.

Victoria-area residents might wish to explore the *Peering into the Past*
<https://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/visit/exhibitions/peering-past-celebrating-canada%E2%80%99s-oldest-chinatown>
pop-up mini-exhibit, celebrating Canada’s oldest Chinatown. The exhibit, at
103-3 Fan Tan Alley, has been extended until March 2022.

No matter where you live in BC (or the world), you can access the Royal BC
Museum’s many educational resources about the histories of Asian settlers
in BC, including multimedia material about early Chinese Canadian
<https://learning.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/pathways/chinese-canadian-experiences/>
and Punjabi Canadian
<https://learning.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/pathways/punjabi-experience-british-columbia/>
experiences, on the Learning Portal <https://learning.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/>.

Follow the Royal BC Museum on its social media platforms (Instagram,
Facebook and Twitter) for more announcements and posts related to, and
supporting, Asian Heritage Month.

-30-

*About the Royal BC Museum:  *The Royal BC Museum explores the province’s
human history and natural history, advances new knowledge and understanding
of BC, and provides a dynamic forum for discussion and a place for
reflection. The museum and archives celebrate culture and history, telling
the stories of BC in ways that enlighten, stimulate and inspire. Located in
Victoria on the traditional territory of the Lekwungen (Songhees and
Xwsepsum Nations), we are a hub of community connections in BC–onsite,
offsite and online–taking pride in our collective histories.

*Media contact:*

news at royalbcmuseum.bc.ca

[image: Twitter_logo_blue]@RoyalBCMuseum <https://twitter.com/RoyalBCMuseum>
 royalbcmuseum <https://www.instagram.com/royalbcmuseum/> RoyalBCMuseum