[BCMA] Media Alert: Shipwreck photos exhibition launch

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Mar 30 09:28:48 PDT 2021

VMM hosts photographer who travels the world to shoot shipwrecks

<https://vanmaritime.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0bdd2a5ddde1149e87d0baa93&id=3225c6705e&e=a473e1bf85>

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE March 30, 2021*   *Vancouver Maritime Museum
introduces audiences to Italian photographer Stefano Benazzo and his
stunning shots of shipwrecks.*

*On April 11 at 11:00 a.m*. the Vancouver Maritime Museum (VMM) is hosting
a virtual celebration of its feature exhibition *Silent Witness:
Photographs of Shipwrecks*. The event, hosted on Zoom, will highlight the
work of Italian photographer Stefano Benazzo.

At the virtual event, *Silent Witness with Stefano Benazzo, *the
photographer will talk about his work travelling the world to
shoot shipwrecks. Since 1969, Benazzo has photographed shipwrecks to tell
the stories–the tragedies, the sufferings and dramatic lives—of the sailors
who worked aboard these vessels. The audience will also have an opportunity
to ask Benazzo questions about his work.

“We are excited that even though Stefano lives halfway around the world in
Italy we can introduce him to our audiences to share his experiences and
artistic process,” says VMM Curator Duncan MacLeod.

Benazzo’s work portrays wood and iron skeletons of ships stranded on
beaches and in intertidal zones the world over. These relics occupy a
liminal space within the landscape and within our collective memory,
monuments slowly decaying and being reclaimed by the landscape and water.
Shipwrecks are silent witnesses to fragments of our history, of human
endeavour remembered and forgotten.

"Shipwrecks are such a fascinating subject,” says MacLeod. “Stefano’s
photographs of these relics of the past captures their haunting beauty and
their relationship with the environments that are reclaiming them.”

*Tickets for Silent Witness with Stefano Benazzo, are $5.* For more
information*,* visit the event page
<https://vanmaritime.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0bdd2a5ddde1149e87d0baa93&id=093fd0298a&e=a473e1bf85>
on the VMM website.

The exhibition *Silent Witness: Photographs of Shipwreck*s is on view at
the VMM until July 18, 2021. For more information, visit the exhibition page
<https://vanmaritime.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0bdd2a5ddde1149e87d0baa93&id=a704dd43b4&e=a473e1bf85>
on the VMM website.

To arrange an interview with Benazzo or VMM Curator Duncan MacLeod, email
marketing at vanmaritime.com.

Media contact
Melanie Jeffs
Marketing Coordinator
Vancouver Maritime Museum
marketing at vanmaritime.com
604-257-8302
<https://vanmaritime.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0bdd2a5ddde1149e87d0baa93&id=14c52cf3ea&e=a473e1bf85>
[image: Twitter]
<https://vanmaritime.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0bdd2a5ddde1149e87d0baa93&id=6c4fe3b293&e=a473e1bf85>
[image: Facebook]
<https://vanmaritime.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0bdd2a5ddde1149e87d0baa93&id=35e99efe1b&e=a473e1bf85>
[image: Instagram]
<https://vanmaritime.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0bdd2a5ddde1149e87d0baa93&id=9e57751966&e=a473e1bf85>
*Copyright © 2021 Vancouver Maritime Museum, All rights reserved.*