[BCMA] Upcoming Family Activities at the Fraser River Discovery Centre

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Jun 16 16:30:35 PDT 2021

Hello all!

The Fraser River Discovery Centre, located in New Westminster, is hosting a number of COVID-safe public programs over the summer, and we were wondering if it would be possible for you to help us promote these low-cost family activities on your event calendars, if appropriate.

The event information is listed below, in order. I’m also sharing graphics to accompany our event information.

Thank you!
Michael Goodchild

---

  1.  Super Saturday: Salmon Stories – Saturday, June 26th, 10am – 4pm

The Fraser River Discovery Centre, located in Downtown New Westminster, is excited to present its next edition of the ongoing 'Super Saturdays' family program, taking place on Saturday, June 26th from 10am – 4pm. Taking place on the last Saturday of every month, Super Saturdays is a series of public programs geared towards families.

As part of National Indigenous History Month, we invite you to join us as we explore the close connection Indigenous communities share with the river now known as the Fraser, and the Pacific salmon that migrate upriver every year. We’ll be sharing stories, demonstrating historical and contemporary Indigenous fishing tools, and teach you how wind-drying is done in the Fraser Canyon!

*This activity draws from information found in the FRDC’s Our Bones are Made of Salmon exhibit, created in partnership with Musqueam Elder Larry Grant and Stó:lō Cultural Advisor Dr. Sonny McHalsie.

Appropriate for families with children aged 6 – 11. COVID-19 Safety protocols are in effect, and pre-registration is required for this activity. Learn more about this family program here: https://fraserriverdiscovery.org/super-saturdays/

WHAT: Super Saturdays – Salmon Stories!
WHEN: Saturday, June 26th, 10am – 4pm
WHERE: Fraser River Discovery Centre, 788 Quayside Drive, New Westminster, BC

  1.  Faces of the Fraser – Solutions to Pollution with Fraser Riverkeeper – Thursday, July 15th, 7:00pm – 8:30pm

The Fraser River Discovery Centre, located in Downtown New Westminster, presents its online webinar series ‘Faces of the Fraser’ on July 15th, at 7:00pm.
‘Faces of the Fraser’ is a webinar series that connects our communities to the people who live and work on the mighty Fraser River.
On July 15th, join us online, via Zoom, as we host Sadie Caron of Fraser Riverkeeper, a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and restoration of the Fraser River and its watershed. Sadie’s presentation will provide an in-depth look at the work of Fraser Riverkeeper to achieve its goals, and will encourage all of us to consider the ways that we can help to protect this incredible watershed, now and into the future!

This presentation will conclude with a Q&A session. Registration is by donation, and includes a link to the Zoom meeting

Learn more about this online event here: https://fraserriverdiscovery.org/facesofthefraser/

  1.  Summer Day Discoveries – July 1st, August 2nd, September 6th

This summer, the Fraser River Discovery Centre is pleased to offer family-friendly activities and programs during long weekends in ‘Summer Day Discoveries’! Offered the long weekends of July 1st, August 2nd, and September 6th.
These fun and COVID-safe activities will help us connect to the Fraser River in exciting new ways, from getting to grips with replica animal skulls to learning about Indigenous communities that have lived along the river known as the Fraser since time immemorial. There’s so much to see and discover on these long summer days!
Learn more about these upcoming activities here: https://fraserriverdiscovery.org/statholidays2021/
---
WHAT: Stat Holiday programs – Summer Day Discoveries!
WHEN:

  *   July 1st activities: July 1st; July 3rd – 4th
  *   BC Day activities: July 31st – August 2nd
  *   Labour Day activities: September 4th – 6th
WHERE: Fraser River Discovery Centre, 788 Quayside Drive, New Westminster, BC

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D762C9.EE326E70]
Michael Goodchild| Museum Coordinator | He/his
t: 604-521-8401 ext. 105 | m: 403-585-7938
e: mgoodchild at fraserriverdiscovery.org<mailto:mgoodchild at fraserriverdiscovery.org>
fraserriverdiscovery.org | a: 788 Quayside Drive, New Westminster, BC V3M 6Z6
Donate Today to help the Fraser River!<https://www.fraserriverdiscovery.org/GivingCircle>
Want to know what`s happening at the FRDC? Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter<https://www.fraserriverdiscovery.org/newsletter>.
[cid:image002.png at 01D762C9.EE326E70]<https://www.facebook.com/thefrdc>[cid:image003.png at 01D762C9.EE326E70]<https://twitter.com/thefrdc>[cid:image004.png at 01D762C9.EE326E70]<https://www.instagram.com/thefrdc/>
[cid:image005.png at 01D762C9.EE326E70]Please consider the environment before printing.

The Fraser River Discovery Centre is located on the traditional territory of the Coast Salish Peoples. Territory acknowledgement is one small part of Reconciliation. Please take a moment to think of other ways you can participate in Reconciliation with Indigenous communities.