[BCMA] Job Posting: Archives Assistant

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Aug 4 12:09:28 PDT 2021

Good afternoon,

Please find attached and below a job posting for an Archives Assistant Young Canada Works internship positon.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D78929.73E411B0]
Employment Opportunity: Archives Assistant
Full Time (35 hrs/wk)
Wage: $19/hr
Term: Oct. 2021 - March 2022
Deadline for application: Sept. 6, 2021 at 11:59 pm

The Oliver and District Heritage Society (www.oliverheritage.ca) operates a Museum and Archives in Oliver BC, a rural town in the South Okanagan valley known for its unique climate and agriculture production - primarily fruit and wine. Nearby communities include Osoyoos, Penticton, Okanagan Falls, Kaleden, and Kelowna. Our collection deals primarily with artifacts from Oliver and RDOS District area C.

The successful applicant will be organizing and preserving our archival collection, scanning and digitizing newspapers and photographs, improving storage, updating database entries, improving record-keeping as part of our Collections Management plan, and helping to develop public programming. Other tasks may include, but are not limited to: planning and assisting with events, assisting visitors and researchers, creating social media posts, cataloguing artifacts, completing research requests, cleaning and sanitizing, and office duties/office administration. No remote work.

Qualifications: The ideal candidate will exhibit strong organizational and social skills, attention to detail, a positive attitude, adaptability, and a willingness to learn. They should be comfortable working as a team and independently, and show a genuine interest in heritage work.

We are pleased to accept applications from post-secondary graduates with an intention to work in the fields of museums/archives, information management, cultural management, heritage resource management, conservation, history, education, or a related field. Having access to your own vehicle is strongly preferred.

The Oliver & District Heritage Society is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. All genders, Indigenous or BIPOC people, people with disabilities, and members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.

Note: The Archives Assistant position is conditional upon funding from Young Canada Works. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applicants must be:

- between the ages of 16 and 30
- a college or university graduate
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible)
- eligible to work in Canada
- unemployed or underemployed
- not working another full-time job during the duration of the position
- willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
- not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program
- register in the Young Canada Works program at www.youngcanadaworks.ca.

Application deadline: September 6, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Please submit resume and cover letter by email to:

Julianna Weisgarber
Executive Director
Oliver and District Heritage Society Museum and Archives
www.oliverheritage.ca<http://www.oliverheritage.ca/> l 250.498.4027 l 430 Fairview Rd, Oliver BC

[01 - Default Museum Logo]
I acknowledge that my work place is within the unceded ancestral and traditional territory of the s'yilx-Okanagan Nation.