[BCMA] BCMA Spring Programming - Register Today!

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Apr 27 10:03:12 PDT 2021

*Spring is here and the BC Museums Association has an exciting line-up of
webinars, virtual workshops, and online programs to help museums,
galleries, and cultural organizations take action!*
BC Museums Week 2021: #MuseumACTION

May 17 – 23, 2021 is officially BC Museums Week! Join online along with
hundreds of cultural professionals across British Columbia and explore how
to take action in your community and in your organization to create a
brighter, more just future for all. This year’s theme is #MuseumACTION and
each day we’ll explore actionable ideas and inspiring discussions to help
you take action and make change.

Check our BC Museums Week page
<https://museum.bc.ca/conferences-and-events/bc-museums-week/> for the
latest news and events! We’re excited to share a quick preview of just some
of the plans we have in store. All BC Museums Week webinars and resources
are completely free and open to anyone, so please encourage your colleagues
and friends from across Canada to join us in taking action! We are also
happy to offer live ASL translation for all of our BC Museums Week webinars.

Monday, May 17: Inclusion & Anti-Racism

   - Webinar: The Development of White Identity with Silvia Mangue Alene,
   12 – 1 pm <https://museum.bc.ca/event-list/?eid=34>
   - Podcast: Interview with Steven Purewal, author, historian, and
   filmmaker

Tuesday, May 18: Reconciliation & Repatriation

   - Interviews with 2020 Repatriation Grant recipients
   - 2021 Call for Repatriation launch
   - May 18 is also International Museums Day <http://imd.icom.museum/> and
   we encourage members to share your visions of the future of museums on
   social media

Wednesday, May 19: Climate Change

   - Learn more about the BCMA’s new project Climate Action & Leadership
   for Museums (CALM)

Thursday, May 20: Emerging Museum Professionals

   - Podcasts: Join us on social media all day for micro-interviews with
   emerging museum professionals as we imagine the future of museums

Friday, May 21: Leadership

   - Webinar: The Elephant in the Room: the Leadership Crisis in Canada’s
   Cultural Sector <https://museum.bc.ca/event-list/?eid=33>, with
   Sharanjit Sandhra, Jen Budney, Brian McBay, Armando Perla, and Devyani
   Saltzman, 10 – 11:30 am

Saturday, May 22: Accessibility

   - Join us on social media for resources, links, and support for taking
   action to make your museum more accessible

Sunday, May 23: Community

   - Join us on social media and explore how museums are taking action in
   the fight against online misinformation

2021 Anti-Racism Series

To support members in taking meaningful action to fight racism and support
justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in the museum sector, the BCMA is
launching a free online anti-racism series this spring. We currently have
three events confirmed, but several more are in various planning stages and
we look forward to sharing more information very soon.

All three events listed below are offered free of charge.

   - Webinar, May 17: The Development of White Identity with Silvia Mangue
   Alene, 12 – 1 pm <https://museum.bc.ca/event-list/?eid=34>
   - Webinar, May 18: The Elephant in the Room: the Leadership Crisis in
   Canada’s Cultural Sector <https://museum.bc.ca/event-list/?eid=33>, with
   Sharanjit Sandhra, Jen Budney, Brian McBay, Armando Perla, and Devyani
   Saltzman, 10 – 11:30 am
   - Keynote Webinar, June 2: Join us for a special keynote webinar
with Museums
   Are Not Neutral
   <https://www.museumsarenotneutral.com/learn-more/we-are-stronger-together>
co-producers
   La Tanya S. Autry and Mike Murawski – brought to you by the Western Museums
   Association in partnership with the BCMA. Learn about their work with this
   global advocacy initiative that exposes the myth of museum neutrality and
   explore strategies for making museums relevant, socially engaged community
   spaces that act as agents of positive change. Registration opens May 5.

Virtual Workshops

The BCMA has launched registration for two new virtual workshops this
summer. If you’re looking for a professional development opportunity that’s
more hands-on and in-depth than a webinar, these might be the workshops for
you.

Museum Education 101: The POETRI of Interpretation (June 1, 8, 15 & 22):
<https://museum.bc.ca/event-list/?eid=40&instid=199> In this four-session
virtual workshop, we will introduce you to the principles and practice of
interpretation in a museum setting. By the end of this virtual workshop,
you will have learned how to focus your messages, distinguish between
different styles of interpretation, and inspire your visitors in thought,
feeling, and action.

Grant Writing 101 – Theory and Practice (June 24, July 8, July 22, August
5, August 19, September 2 & September 16)
<https://museum.bc.ca/event-list/?eid=32>: In this seven-session virtual
workshop, we will introduce you to the theory and practice of writing
grants and communicating organizational impact in the non-profit sector. By
the end of this virtual workshop, you will have learned how to focus your
messages, practice a number of common grant writing tasks, and develop a
mini-grant revenue development plan.

Learn more and register online! <https://museum.bc.ca/event-list/?eid=32>
IBPOC Network

Join our IBPOC Network Coordinator, Sarah Wang, for the next Watercooler
Wednesday
<https://museum.bc.ca/conferences-and-events/watercooler-wednesdays/?cm=4&cy=2021>.
Log on at 3:30 pm on May 5 to get to know Sarah and hear what she has
planned for the Network. Come prepared with your suggestions and questions!
Indigenous Funding Webinar Series

The first of a series of webinars looking at funding opportunities
available to support initiatives at Indigenous Cultural Centers is now open
for registration. Join the BCMA and Canadian Heritage on Wednesday, June
16, from 12 – 1 pm to learn about the Indigenous Heritage component of the
Museums Assistance Program. Register here!
<https://museum.bc.ca/event-list/?eid=36&instid=190>