[BCMA] 2024 U of T-Master of Museum Studies Summer Internship Call Out

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Mar 15 09:00:00 PDT 2024

Dear fellow Museum professionals.

Apologies for any cross postings.

We are excited to share that summer internship recruitment for Master of Museum Studies<https://ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/track/tl=I2WoztIUcyN6Z-K1_BCcGAc8PgaHe9OSPYSWtAJ7svFEhnLyPCDlf0sHDGiRuKEgjxsoEp4EFimBT0aX8pC2taIyKbCpjXULJTRhsie7WGMECoGvtOOEvsHm3ej60zz0ksFULZ19NO7fOOKY3-SViYQl4KvauLKkKXrc4nr5GdmHc-0cEmB4zzTrtCImFNRbHueTSJeCffIhk7jW-rGiQf55p1u1zgY_oKAezBrfuAkGBD2XephFkv8101GCs8cTHEyF21vq_SbGxTAFiVkX7ibsVxByCwZ3> (MMSt) students at the Faculty of Information, University of Toronto, is underway.

Outlined below is our program information, timelines, and next steps. We look forward to partnering with you again this year to deliver a dynamic and successful recruitment cycle.

The Master of Museum Studies Internship Program, Faculty of Information, U of T

The MMSt Internship Program is designed to place our students between their first and second year of enrollment in a recognized museum, gallery or related institution. Our graduate students are emerging museum professionals with knowledge, skills, and competencies they are eager to put to work and to grow in an internship. They have a wide range of academic and professional specializations appropriate to the museums. Internships involve areas of museum practice, from collections to curatorial, programming to exhibit development, and fundraising and development.

Internship Expectations:

  *   Industry expertise that is accessible to the student and that aligns with the scope of the Internship
  *   Mentorship and consistency in presence and touchpoints, so that students have one person they can reach out to for support and guidance
  *   Clarity of tasks and expectations
  *   An inclusive workplace and space
  *   Accessible by transit and/or offering a hybrid model to enable access

Timeline and Duration:

  *   The Summer 2024 Internship Program runs between May and August. Internships can start anytime between May and early July 2024.
  *   The minimum number of hours required for Summer 2024 internship is 280 hours. This is based on a 35 hour work week. This averages out to 8 weeks.
  *   For students to meet the internship minimum number of hours, they should have secured an internship that starts by the first week of July in 2024.
  *   Recruitment begins in February, and generally peaks in March, April and May due to YCW timelines.

Compensation

The internship may be paid or unpaid. Our graduate students are emerging museum professionals with knowledge, skills, and competencies that they are eager to put to work and to grow in an internship. They are also facing financial challenges, as many students do, which makes it difficult for them to accept unpaid positions. The Faculty of Information offers stipends of up to $2000 to students unable to secure internship positions that can offer an hourly rate or an honorarium that covers students' cost of living.

Our Master of Museum Studies Program is a verified program with Young Canada Works<https://ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/track/tl=I2WoztIUcyN6Z-K1_BCcGAc8PgaHe9OSPYSWtAJ7svFEhnLyPCDlf0sHDGiRuKEgjxsoEp4EFimBT0aX8pC2taIyKbCpjXULEg-zMkoxuQUicaLdON-iGDV-OBAIy8O4JGyJt72rSGHdwkLWzc95HaGGVkRqIl-5JHWQNKcIxviAkRDVq1ENUZsKae_PqWcHTwyE2OtugRz45fD2Tjxm0M4dXVKmo5SrkNxog5Mfk2aqOtGmTEKX3DM8RavXeiZ-PEQKwAYBUT57GgebVHqn_ni8OtntonoT> and your position may qualify for that funding, or other funding as is available.

If you’re interested in recruiting our students, internship roles can be posted on our in-house recruitment platform, Symplicity<https://ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/track/tl=I2WoztIUcyN6Z-K1_BCcGAc8PgaHe9OSPYSWtAJ7svFEhnLyPCDlf0sHDGiRuKEgjxsoEp4EFimBT0aX8pC2taIyKbCpjXULYAy_M7HhTM8ECoGvtOOEvuMrQh7OzEWt_vAsGU4MA53TJrbiZr173aga-bQPyLbTvbZqOQu-lII7v1Um61tzfRrKMCoGfWRUDw-iu95AD2ZQkt5SoCV6JHXDcVmVYTGMod-URJL6XpSfyTudG3THDJVbvdNwZI1D_ZdoRQ5BYQg,>. Instructions are as follows:

Employer Login and Account Creation:

  *   Navigate to Symplicity<https://ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/track/tl=I2WoztIUcyN6Z-K1_BCcGAc8PgaHe9OSPYSWtAJ7svFEhnLyPCDlf0sHDGiRuKEgjxsoEp4EFimBT0aX8pC2taIyKbCpjXULZEX9tV6alwoECoGvtOOEvuMrQh7OzEWt_vAsGU4MA53TJrbiZr173aga-bQPyLbT-olKTgfpkafLVVm98o0YstdwFQDU6PkXO9r-0bdb3m7khrrU6DZfUDT-WgAkH2wq>. You may want to bookmark this page.
  *   Please click the Employer button
  *   Those with existing accounts can enter their username (email) and password to sign-in.
  *   If you have never logged into Symplicity, you can click “Sign Up.” This applies even if other members of your organization have Symplicity accounts.
     *   Find your organization and complete your Company Information and Contact Information. If your organization is NOT listed, type in the full name of your organization and complete your account information.
     *   At this time, you can also submit job postings for review.
     *   Once your account and posting(s) have been approved, you will be notified within 3 business days and you will be able to access your account, post additional positions, and view applications.

Posting Jobs on Symplicity:

  *   Posting a position is free. Once your account is approved, simply sign in and click Post a Position from the left menu on the Home screen.
  *   We suggest a minimum two-week application window for the 2024 recruitment cycle.
  *   On the posting page:
     *   Select ‘MMSt Internship for the Position Type and Applicant Type.
     *   Select ‘Summer 2024’ (May to Aug) for the Work Term.
     *   Complete the form and click ‘Submit’. Positions will be reviewed and approved within 3 business days. You will receive an approval confirmation email.

Questions:  Not sure if the internship meets your needs? Let's chat and we can find out what opportunities work best for you. Click on the link to book a meeting: Book a meeting with Sana<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/FacultyofInformationEmployerEngagement@utoronto.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/s/Dy7FwEpfXkCeUtiBpdV-tA2>

Thank you very much!

Sana

Sana Khan (she/her) | Engagement Coordinator

Faculty of Information (iSchool) | University of Toronto

140 St. George St. Toronto, ON  M5S 3G6

sanaa.khan at utoronto.ca<mailto:sanaa.khan at utoronto.ca> | www.ischool.utoronto.ca<https://ischool-utoronto-csm.symplicity.com/track/tl=I2WoztIUcyN6Z-K1_BCcGAc8PgaHe9OSPYSWtAJ7svFEhnLyPCDlf0sHDGiRuKEgjxsoEp4EFimBT0aX8pC2taIyKbCpjXULBEzTuueRj4tkImircFqS5YScDpG6TwHPJqxXneHyKYje3WT-6rvxJilZHtmwsknB_Rbw5sk-dqDfkwaVP9e3NzQqloB3xy7bdr2ZJ0Ebf1_7n528-hFObQ,,>