[BCMA] [MEDIA RELEASE] "Gallery Get-Together" Grows

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Jun 11 08:00:21 PDT 2024

For Immediate Release

"Gallery Get-Together" grows and gets new community support

What: Gallery Get-Together is a fun, social, and educational monthly art event

When: Monthly on a Wednesday, 2:00 - 3:30 pm

Who: Seniors & Adults (ages 50+)

Cost: Now FREE!

June 11, 2024 - Kelowna, BC: A new program at the Kelowna Art Gallery designed to bring the community together through art recently got a boost from a local business. Gallery Get-Together offers active seniors and adults (ages 50+) a space to get creative, to learn more about visual arts, and a chance to connect with other art enthusiasts.

"We are excited to offer this program to the community," says Nataley Nagy, Executive Director at the Kelowna Art Gallery. "We especially want to welcome people who have never been to the Gallery before. Our Gallery Get-Togethers provide a fun and social opportunity for locals to access visual arts and to connect with one another."

So far, participants have sketched and painted en plein air, toured artist Dempsey Bob's beautiful carved masks and sculptures, made new friends at a Valentine's Day art activity, and more. On Wednesday, June 12th attendees will have the opportunity to explore colour - learn a few fascinating tips about colour theory and get inspired by the artwork on view, before diving into an expressive art activity. The program is led by the Gallery's friendly and helpful education staff.

Best of all, beginning this month Gallery Get-Together is free for all participants. This is thanks to Northwood Retirement Resort, who have stepped up as a sponsor for this community program.

"We are thrilled to partner with the Kelowna Art Gallery for the Gallery Get-Together program," says Sarah Spinks, General Manager at Northwood Retirement Resort. "We're huge fans of their work in the community. This is a wonderful example of how vibrant the cultural district is, and one of the reasons why downtown Kelowna is such a great place to live and play."

The next three Gallery Get-Togethers are scheduled for June 12, July 17, and August 14. No registration is required. Participants can simply drop-in between 2:00 and 3:30 pm and there is no cost to attend. Find out more about the program at www.kelownaartgallery.com.

The Kelowna Art Gallery is located at 1315 Water Street, in downtown Kelowna, B.C.

- 30 -

Resources

Exhibition Webpage: https://kelownaartgallery.com/gallery-get-together/

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/426686086915435

Northwood Retirement Resort: https://www.regencyresorts.ca/northwood-retirement-resort/

For additional high-res images, or to arrange an interview please contact:

Joshua Desnoyers

Marketing and Events Coordinator

Kelowna Art Gallery

1315 Water Street, Kelowna, BC V1Y 9R3