[BCMA] [EXTERNAL] Outreach kits

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Feb 15 16:07:01 PST 2024

Elizabeth:
It would be helpful if you provided contact information so that we could reply directly. I also checked your website but could find only a generic email.

Many of the school programs that we offer can be run as outreach programs.
https://www.quesnelmuseum.ca/plan-visit/educational-programs
By far the most popular is our First Nations Program, but I have also taken the rocks and minerals, Community Developmen,t and Museum Curator programs out to schools.
We just increased our charges to $60 for a half day ( up to 3 hours) and $120  for a full day which partially offsets staff wages.
(The rate was originally set to reflect 2 hours of the average wage of the 2 staff members who delivered education programs)   With cost of living increases and the fact that I end up doing the majority of in school programming, because our museum assistant works part time hours in the winter  and we have had turn over in that position for the last couple of years,  it was time to make an adjustment.
We are hauling a fair amount of hands on materials, so for the most part we will only book to deliver one program  per visit, although we  may deliver it more than once to several classes.
Typically schools will book two half days  and we set up in the library or the music room and deliver various versions of the First Nations and cultural exchange program to every class in the school.
30 min for the kindergarten and grade 1, 45 min to 1 hour for older classes  and they may double up and put 2 classes together to get everyone through.
Since they do not have bussing costs there has never been any objection to paying our modest fees.

The First Nations program was originally designed ( c 2008)  as an outreach exhibit with pop up banners, a box of hands on materials, oral history videos and lesson plans  that schools could rent for up to 2 weeks, but we had very little uptake.  They much prefer us to deliver the program.  Occasionally they rent the exhibit and hire the Elder who we worked with on the video projects  to deliver the program.

I also take groupings of artifacts and hands on materials to the local seniors home.   Usually we are picking a theme and the intent is to spark memories  so I try to pick things that would be familiar from the resident's youth and  working life.  Sometimes I also gather useful information from the stories they tell me.   Again we charge the ½ day outreach fee since these are one off programs so that covers the time at the home and some of the time selecting the material.   ( At a previous museum we had about 4-5 seniors homes that we visited a couple of times a year. I would develop the theme and select the material but I had several volunteers who would take turns implementing the presentations. We did charge, but I no longer recall the rate.)

Elizabeth Hunter
Museum & Heritage Manager City of Quesnel
Quesnel Museum & Archives
705 Carson Ave.  Quesnel BC V2J 2B6
250-992-9580     ehunter at quesnel.ca
www.quesnelmuseum.ca<http://www.quesnelmuseum.ca/>  Facebook: @quesnelmuseum

We live, work and play on the unceded territory of the Lhtako Dene.