[BCMA] Job Posting: Collection Project Assistant (Summer Student)

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Feb 14 16:09:46 PST 2024

Position: Collection Project Assistant (Summer Student)

Salary: $18.20/hour

Hours: Summer contract, full time, 37.5 hour/week

Contract Term: 16 weeks, May 6 - August 23, 2024

Position Overview:

Nanaimo Art Gallery is looking to add a new member to our team! The
Collection Project Assistant shares Nanaimo Art Gallery’s values of
relevance, relationships, innovation, and openness, and is responsible for
helping to document, catalog, and organize our permanent collection.

Under the direction of the Gallery’s Curator and Gallery Technician, the
Collection Project Assistant will work to improve the organization,
documentation, storage, and care of our permanent collection, through
detailed condition reporting, matting, filing, labeling, and documenting.

The Assistant will add important context to the works we house through
online and on-site research. The Assistant will help us to populate our
collection management software with new acquisitions, and expand
information about previously cataloged works. The Assistant will also help
us to index the locations of artworks in our building to locations data in
our collection management software. They will also help with exhibition
installation and other related duties.

Specific Duties and Responsibilities:

The Collection Project Assistant’s responsibilities will include, but may
not be limited to:

   -

   Art handling
   -

   Photographing artwork
   -

   Condition reporting artwork
   -

   Populating and updating artwork entries in our collection management
   software
   -

   Organizing and labeling artwork
   -

   Researching artists and artwork
   -

   Helping with exhibition installation and take down
   -

   Facilitating exhibition programs and events
   -

   Other duties as assigned

Requirements: (Qualifications, Knowledge, Education and Skills)

   -

   Clear and confident communicator with strong written and oral
   communication skills
   -

   Creative, enthusiastic, adaptable and self-motivated
   -

   Organizational skills
   -

   Love of arts and culture
   -

   Desire to contribute to and collaborate with a creative team
   -

   Ability to lift and move artworks (maximum 50 pounds)
   -

   Experience with spreadsheets and data entry
   -

   Computer literate
   -

   Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in
   Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent
   status are not eligible)
   -

   Between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
   -

   Willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
   -

   Registered as a full time student this past semester
   -

   Intend to return to studies in the fall of 2024

Preferred Qualifications:

   -

   Proficiency in common communication tools (MS Office, Google Suite,
   Zoom, etc.)
   -

   Undergraduate student studying visual art, art history, museum studies,
   Indigenous studies, archives, library studies, collections management or
   another related field

To Apply

Please submit a cover letter, detailed resume and 3 references by email to
jesse at nanaimoartgallery.ca with the subject heading “Collection Project
Assistant”.

Closing date for applications is Friday March 15, 2024. Only those selected
for an interview will be contacted.

Nanaimo Art Gallery hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed
to equity and diversity within its community.

The Gallery strives to be a safe space where all voices are heard and
valued and work towards accessibility, anti-racism, 2SLGBTQIA+ inclusion
and encourage diversity in our staff team. We encourage applications from
visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, persons with
disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender
identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage
with diverse communities. Students from other parts of the country and
those with English as a second language are encouraged to apply.

Snuneymuxw Territory
150 Commercial Street, Nanaimo, BC
250-754-1750
info at nanaimoartgallery.ca