[BCMA] Archival Assistant

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Apr 24 16:03:12 PDT 2024

Dear colleagues,

The Museum & Archives of Vernon is looking for an Archival Assistant to
work as part of the MAV Archives Team, assisting with the processing,
management, and care of textual and digital archival records. Other
functions of the position will include assisting with research projects for
public and in-house purposes, engaging in data management tasks, and
working with other staff members across departments as opportunities arise.

Prospective candidates for the Archival Assistant position are ideally
currently enrolled in, or graduates of, post-secondary academic programs
related to fields such as History, Anthropology, Indigenous Studies,
Education, Fine Arts, Museology, Library and Archival Studies, Hospitality
and Tourism, or Recreation and Leisure.

While prior experience in a museum and archives setting is advantageous, it
is not a mandatory requirement as a willingness to learn is considered more
valuable to the MAV team. Similarly, a cursory understanding of the Rules
of Archival Description (RAD) is also an asset.

As this position is funded by the Young Canada Works in Heritage
Organizations grant, any applicant must meet the following criteria:

• be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in
Canada;

• be legally entitled to work in Canada;

• be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;

• be registered in the YCW online candidate inventory;

• be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment; and

• not have another full-time job during the YCW work assignment.

If you are interested in applying for this position, and meet the Young
Canada Works grant criteria, please submit applications directly through
the Young Canada Works portal:
https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/Opportunity/ProjectDetails?projectId=19845&showBackToSearch=true
.

Thank you,

I would like to respectfully acknowledge that I am sending this email
today, as well as working, living, and playing, on the Traditional,
Ancestral, and Unceded territory of the syilx People. As a visitor on this
land, I strive to deepen my understanding of the local Indigenous
communities, including the syilx and secwepemc People, and I commit to
reframing my responsibilities to land and community.