[BCMA] Question regarding Ivory items

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Sep 28 12:13:29 PDT 2023

Hello all.

A long while back I had read (or watched) a report on the legality of museums holding or accepting artefacts made with ivory.

Are there any set requirements, registration, legalities, or thoughts regarding ivory in our collections?

In question we have a large case which belonged to the wife of a British General during the Boer War (Second African War 1899-1902).  It is her personal grooming case with silver brushes, combs, and various silver/glass bottles of cosmetics, powders, and perfumes.  There are some hand curlers which we suspect are ivory as well as the handles of the other grooming tools (brushes, combs, dice, etc.).

We have to assume that these are ivory because of the woman’s status, the role her husband had in the late 1800s in India’s Colonialism, and what we suspect is not a “crocodile imprinted bovine leather” covering on the case itself.

We could easily just ignore the material that we suspect these items are and play dumb, but we want to be sure we are treating these items appropriately regarding the legality or ethical aspect of these artefacts for the future.

Thanks for any advice...

at your service,

Lewis Bartholomew
Founder & Executive Director

mrbarth at alberniproject.org

MUSEUM ADDRESS:
HMCS ALBERNI Museum and Memorial
MUSÉE DU NCSM ALBERNI
5-625 Cliffe Avenue
Courtenay BC
250-897-4611

ADMINISTRATION OFFICE:
The Alberni Project Society
TAP Mobile Exhibit Bookings
65 Salsbury Road
Courtenay, BC Canada V9N9L7
250-338-2720
BC Reg Society: S-0062206

HMCS ALBERNI Memorial
www.alberniproject.org
www.facebook.com/thealberniproject
www.twitter.com/AlberniProject
k103museum at alberniproject.org

Take up our quarrel with the foe: To you from failing hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die we shall not sleep,
though poppies grow in Flanders Fields.

Email is a non-secure form of communication and clients should not include any sensitive account information in any email to The Alberni Project. Le courriel n'est pas un mode de transmission securise et les clients doivent s'abstenir d'y inclure tout renseignement sensible sur leur compte dans toute communication electronique destinee a projet de Alberni.

In the spirit of reconciliation, we recognize that HAMM and TAPS are on the traditional territory of the K’omoks First Nation.  Dans un esprit de réconciliation, nous reconnaissons que HAMM et TAPS se trouve sur te territoire traditionnel de la Première Nation K’omoks.