[BCMA] Sask Museums Community Chat: Safer Spaces Webinar with Elder Sid Fiddler, June 28

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Jun 14 10:15:11 PDT 2023

*Community Chat: Safer Spaces Webinar with Elder Sid Fiddler Wednesday June
28th, 2023 1:00pm CST (12:00pm PST) *(no registration required)

Elder Sid Fiddler of Waterhen Lake Cree First Nation will be joining us for
a Webinar to discuss how museums in Saskatchewan can make their spaces more
welcoming to Indigenous people. Elder Sid Fiddler has shared with MAS
suggestions on how we can make our museum spaces more welcoming and
inclusive, including:

   - Museums are responsible for training their staff in the proper
   protocols for how to welcome and receive knowledge in a good way from
   visiting Elders and Indigenous communities;
   - Staff should participate in ceremony when possible;
   - Museums should not charge Indigenous peoples to access the site or
   their material culture, including cultural objects, archives and records,
   recordings, stories, interpretation, and sacred sites and landmarks;
   - Institutions must stop using colonial language (like “Discovery”) when
   speaking about Indigenous history, sites, and culture.

MAS believes that these are all attainable goals that museums can achieve
this summer and is here to support our members through this work.

Please click the link below to join the webinar:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81187916947
<https://saskmuseums.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2a68eec6719d0b1e7ef14b4ba&id=61c28b8e93&e=301f9eed94>

https://www.saskmuseums.org/services/community-chat/
<https://saskmuseums.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2a68eec6719d0b1e7ef14b4ba&id=14025724ea&e=301f9eed94>
<https://saskmuseums.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2a68eec6719d0b1e7ef14b4ba&id=3cedbf565a&e=301f9eed94>
[image: Facebook]
<https://saskmuseums.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2a68eec6719d0b1e7ef14b4ba&id=bcedf8c2f1&e=301f9eed94>
[image: Twitter]
<https://saskmuseums.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2a68eec6719d0b1e7ef14b4ba&id=f50bea218d&e=301f9eed94>
[image: Instagram]
<https://saskmuseums.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2a68eec6719d0b1e7ef14b4ba&id=38fbd3c425&e=301f9eed94>
[image: Website]
<https://saskmuseums.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2a68eec6719d0b1e7ef14b4ba&id=ea93c80815&e=301f9eed94>
We gratefully acknowledge funding support from:
*Copyright © 2023 MAS, All rights reserved.*