[BCMA] Job Posting: Assistant Curator at the PoCo Heritage Museum and Archives

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Jun 13 09:51:21 PDT 2023

Position: Assistant Curator

Type: Contract (Part-time)

Term: ~July 25, 2023 - January 27, 2023 (with opportunity for renewal)

Hours: 22.5 / week

Pay: $24.08 / hour (plus 4% vac pay)

We are seeking an Assistant Curator to join our team!

The Port Coquitlam Heritage and Cultural Society is a volunteer driven
non-profit organization that operates Port Coquitlam’s only Museum and
Archives. We are dedicated to celebrating and preserving Port Coquitlam’s
diverse heritage and culture.

Working under the Museum Manager and Curator, or in his absence the
President, The Assistant Curator’s duties will include:

Primary duties

   -

   Working with the curator to manage the collection including overseeing
   the development, implementation, and oversight of collection policy and
   procedure
   -

   Overseeing, training, and managing staff and volunteers who work with
   the collection
   -

   Collections work such as maintaining collection records and the
   accessioning, deaccessioning, and digitization of artifacts and archival
   materials
   -

   Liaising with donors, contractors, and members of the public
   -

   Providing curatorial support for the installation and deinstallation of
   exhibits

Secondary duties

   -

   Assisting in the facilitation of events, programs, and exhibits when
   required
   -

   Assisting with social media, marketing, and other correspondence when
   required
   -

   Other duties as assigned

Qualifications

   -

   A bachelor’s degree in history, museum studies, anthropology, or related
   field
   -

   2 years experience working with museum collections
   -

   A valid BC drivers license and vehicle

An ideal candidate will have:

   -

   A strong background in museum collections work including knowledge of
   best practices related to the handling, storage, and conservation of
   artifacts
   -

   Knowledge of museum ethics, methods, collections policy, and database
   software (in particular PastPerfect)
   -

   Strong written and oral communication skills
   -

   Proficiency in common office software (e.g. Microsoft 365, Google
   Workspace)
   -

   Prior management experience is an asset
   -

   Familiarity with publishing software (e.g. Canva, InDesign) and common
   web design platforms (WordPress) is an asset

At PoCo Heritage our mission is to preserve and celebrate the diverse
heritage of our community and we recognize the importance of inclusive
teams in achieving this goal. Applications from self-identified members of
underserved communities as well as those from visible and invisible
minority communities are encouraged.

Please submit a cover letter and resume to:

Alex Code, Museum Manager - info at pocoheritage.org

Subject line: Job Application – Assistant Curator

We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected
for an interview will be contacted.

*Alex Code* (He / Him)
*Museum Manager and Curator *
*PoCo Heritage Museum and Archives *
150-2248 McAllister Ave | Port Coquitlam BC | V3C 2A5 | 604 927 8403
alexanderc at pocoheritage.org | info at pocoheritage.org
<alexanderc at pocoheritage.org>
https://pocoheritage.org/

PoCo Heritage acknowledges that our museum is located on the traditional,
ancestral and unceded territory of the kʷikʷəƛ̓əm (Kwikwetlem First
Nation). We thank the kʷikʷəƛ̓əm who continue to live on these lands and
care for them, along with the waters and all that is above and below.