[BCMA] child protection insurance for museums/archives

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Jul 14 10:37:06 PDT 2023

Lewis here. From the HMCS ALBERNI Museum and Memorial.  If you are referring to liability insurance in case of injury rather than different kind of child protection services any injuries should be covered under your basic liability insurance.  We’ve had liability insurance since we first started showing our programming through our mobile unit at schools, festivals, and other public places.  This insurance was continued to cover our physical museum when it was created in 2013. Because of the various requirements of municipalities we take our mobile unit to we have had to increase our liability to $3m.

Unfortunately, because of funding struggles for years, we have no content insurance which we could have used with our fire and the two floods.

But check with your insurance company (We use HUB) on what your liability insurance covers.  We also added additional coverage for our Board officers to protect them in case of insurance claims.