[BCMA] Museum Flooring Options

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Jan 13 10:08:17 PST 2023

We at the Lillooet Museum are also interested in finding out what works for
other small museums. I can give a few pointers based on my own research but
I do not have a company or specific floor type in mind yet.
1. For ease of access having level crossings is very important - that is no
step between rooms.
2. having the same flooring style throughout your museum will allow you to
more easily have continuous displays that take up more than one gallery.
3. Light coloured floors will brighten up the gallery space - important if
your museum is a black box - but dark coloured floors don't look dirty as
quickly and can make a more 'dynamic' display area with spot lighting.
4. as with 1, while you are redoing the floor it might be a good time to
evaluate if you can remove any stairs for access purposes. I am hoping to
remove 3 - 5 stairs from our institution to make a level gallery floor, but
I have not heard from the architects if that is possible yet.

*Yours,*
*Farmer Chomitz*
they/them/any
Manager, Lillooet Museum
~~
Lillooet Museum
790 Main St.
Lillooet BC
250-256-4308
The museum is currently closed for the season, this account is monitored.
Thank you in understanding the delay in reply to your message

Lillooet Museum acknowledges that we are located on the unceded territory
of the St'at'imc Nation