[BCMA] Upcoming Events at Vancouver Heritage Foundation

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Jan 12 12:35:33 PST 2023

Happy New Year!

We have all NEW events and programming coming up and are busy planning to celebrate Heritage Week in February. Below you’ll discover our upcoming programming, information sessions, and a sneak peek into how we're going to be celebrating Heritage Week!

Heritage Study Guide Info Session
Monday, January 16th, 12pm - 1pm

[https://mcusercontent.com/5e95a91c476ac0f26ff1b9d5e/images/07dd17e8-b973-151e-e191-c34456010cf0.png]
Join Projects Manager Jessica Quan to review the updated Heritage Study Guide as part of our Heritage in Schools Program. Hear the highlights of the redesigned digital resource, discover resources to engage young learners with Vancouver's cultural histories and heritage places, and ask questions. Indigenous and cultural projects will be a focus of this free session.

Where: Online (via Zoom)
Price: Free
Register here: https://www.tickettailor.com/events/vancouverheritagefoundation/

Pro-D for Educators | Family & Food: Stories from Vancouver’s Little Saigon
Friday, February 17th, 9am - 3:30pm

[https://mcusercontent.com/5e95a91c476ac0f26ff1b9d5e/images/e9bf92bd-8d49-0f2e-a0d8-51a5c49b401b.png]
Photo credit: The Huynh Family Collection

Join VHF for a full-day, in-person session exploring Vancouver’s historic Little Saigon neighbourhood. We will taste, hear and experience the histories of Vietnamese Canadians through family and food, resilience and success. We are excited to host visits at Ba Le on Fraser Street and Kingsway and Anh and Chi on Main Street.

Where: Beginning at 701 Kingsway
Price: $75+ tax
Register here: https://www.tickettailor.com/events/vancouverheritagefoundation/814778/

Places that Matter Community Celebration
Wednesday, February 22nd, 6:30pm - 8:30pm

[https://mcusercontent.com/5e95a91c476ac0f26ff1b9d5e/images/e18368b4-954f-64b4-348f-125f2e2d3396.png]
Photo credit: roaming-the-planet

Join us at Heritage Hall for a family-friendly evening of storytelling, music, table displays, and light refreshments to celebrate Heritage Week.

Please contact jessica at vancouverheritagefoundation.org<mailto:jessica at vancouverheritagefoundation.org> for more information and sponsorship opportunities.

Where: Heritage Hall, 3102 Main Street
Price: By donation
Register here: https://www.tickettailor.com/events/vancouverheritagefoundation/803889/

Heritage Lunch and Learn | When A Story Finds You – The Babes in the Wood Cold Case and Unexpected Discoveries
Thursday, March 9th, 12pm – 1pm
 [https://mcusercontent.com/5e95a91c476ac0f26ff1b9d5e/images/ab538a5b-ebfe-2ead-9fb1-cb028894efc3.jpg]
Photo credit: Katarina Thorsen

In 2003, Katarina Thorsen volunteered as a researcher and student criminal profiler with the Babes in the Woods Task Force. The task force’s goal was to identify the children whose skeletal remains were found in Stanley Park on January 15, 1953. Katarina will share her experiences of working with the task force, developing a profile, sifting through archives, meeting with communities, cataloguing the physical evidence and her unique creative approach to cold case investigation. A newspaper article, dated November 5, 1947, led Katarina on an unexpected 20 year journey of extensive historical, genealogical, forensic and psychiatric research into a Vancouver-based Irish immigrant family whose story is currently being developed into a graphic novel.

Where: Online (via Zoom)
Price: By donation
Register here: https://www.tickettailor.com/events/vancouverheritagefoundation/796348/

Heritage Hour | Linking Time: Contemporary Cemetery Design within Historic Settings
Tuesday, March 28th, 7pm – 8:30pm

[https://mcusercontent.com/5e95a91c476ac0f26ff1b9d5e/_compresseds/a53879d7-e78f-b78c-0304-6c61488be1ce.jpg]
Photo credit: Bill Pechet

Join VHF and designer, Bill Pechet for an evening of conversation about contemporary commemoration. This talk will explore a variety of designs by both PECHET Studio and others that highlight the challenges and opportunities in designing within historic cemetery environments and specific cultural traditions. Using both local and international examples, including Vancouver’s own Mountainview Cemetery, Bill will explore themes such as the provision of ritual, ideas of eternity, and forms of new internment.

VHF’s Heritage Hour (formerly Evening Lectures) are a series of talks focused on local heritage.

Where: University Women's Club at Hycroft Manor
Price: $20+ tax ($15+ tax for students)
Register here: https://www.tickettailor.com/events/vancouverheritagefoundation/818338/

Home Edition: Behind the Scenes
Wednesday, April 12th, 7pm – 8pm

[https://mcusercontent.com/5e95a91c476ac0f26ff1b9d5e/images/8b407533-b887-ebfa-8be3-53b08e6a51a3.jpg]
Photo credit: Jeffery Chong

Join artist Jeffery Chong as he shares will share how his personal family research and profession in archives have shaped his artistic practice in this virtual artist talk. He will tell the story about discovering the historic news footage of his grandfather at the CBC Archives, and its inspiration for creating this large-scale photograph on The WALL, Home Edition.

Where: Online (via Zoom)
Price: $10+ tax
Register here: https://www.tickettailor.com/events/vancouverheritagefoundation/828226/

Please feel welcome to connect with me if you have any questions!

Warm regards,

Sarah Carlson (she/her)
Program Manager
Vancouver Heritage Foundation
604 264 9642 #4

303 - 3102 Main Street,
Vancouver, BC, V5T 3G7

www.vancouverheritagefoundation.org<https://www.vancouverheritagefoundation.org/>
Facebook / TheVancouverHeritageFoundation<http://www.facebook.com/TheVancouverHeritageFoundation>
Twitter @vanheritage<http://www.twitter.com/vanheritage>
Instagram @VancouverHeritageFdn <http://www.instagram.com/vancouverheritagefdn/>

Vancouver Heritage Foundation recognizes the diverse history and cultural heritage of Vancouver and that the city is located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.