[BCMA] Job Poster: P/T Volunteer and Visitor Centre Coordinator

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Feb 3 13:34:47 PST 2023

Part Time Regular Employment Opportunity

Position:  Volunteer and Visitor Centre Coordinator

ABOUT THE MARITIME MUSEUM OF BC

Our mission is to engage communities in witnessing and preserving maritime heritages. Our vision is that maritime experiences are boldly embraced, shared and lived from a cultural centre on the waterfront.

The Maritime Museum of BC (MMBC) offers year-round exhibits, programs, and events including school programs, craft workshops, skills based Maritime Masterclasses, a speaker series, and annual events like the Massive Marine and Outdoor Garage Sale and the Victoria Classic Boat Festival.

The MMBC has three locations: one downtown public location (about 3,000 sq/ft) and two off site storage locations (totalling 13,000 sq/ft). The collections contain:

*	35,000 objects
*	500 pieces of artwork
*	550 flags
*	Ship models of BC vessels
*	8,500 books
*	35,000 ships’ plans
*	40,000 historic photographs
*	3 historic sailing vessels called Tillikum, Dorothy, and Trekka.

The MMBC is currently run by 5 staff members, 10 Board members, and approximately 100 volunteers who provide their time throughout the year in all areas of museum operations.

The Team

Our team at the MMBC is tight-knit, flexible, and excited about the work we do. We work closely with an amazing and supportive group of committed board members and volunteers. All of us come from different backgrounds, which we believe is part of our strength! We also have community partners in many local organizations who we work with and deliver programming to on a regular basis.

What you can expect

This is an opportunity to continue the development and delivery of our volunteer program. and improve systems to streamline operations in all areas of the museum. The MMBC is in the process of establishing new volunteer systems. Your first priority will be to help in this process while maintaining the current flow of volunteers.

Last year, the MMBC invested in a new volunteer database using Better Impact to help manage our volunteers. Volunteer data has been entered, but we still have to establish the new forms, training modules, volunteer end, etc. You will work with the other members of the MMBC team to build up this database and make it functionable for volunteers to use as well.

You will be responsible for your own team of volunteers in the Visitor Centre. These are the front desk volunteers who are the first interaction most of the public has with the museum- as such their role is vitally important. You will oversee the front desk volunteer schedule, prepare and deliver training documents, recruit and train new volunteers as needed, and maintain the front desk manual- a key in communications between front desk volunteers and the MMBC staff. When we are short volunteers on the front desk you will be the main person to step in to cover schedule gaps.

In addition to the volunteer duties, you will also be in charge of the gift shop. You will keep tabs of inventory, order new stock when needed, seek out new vendors, and find unique collections-based products to sell in the shop. When an online order is purchased you will be the one to process it.

This position is currently for 20 hours a week on site with the potential for this to become a full-time position within one to three years. You will report directly to the Executive Director for all of your work tasks.

Position Responsibilities

*	Volunteer Coordination

*	Oversee and maintain the volunteer database using Better Impact
*	Maintain website forms for new volunteers and update training materials in Better Impact
*	Process new volunteer forms and forward volunteers to the right department
*	Update and maintain status of volunteers (i.e. active vs. inactive)
*	Process criminal record checks with volunteers as needed
*	Work with other staff to prepare and maintain volunteer position descriptions
*	Post volunteer opportunities
*	Attend volunteer recruitment events
*	Help organize volunteer in-person volunteer training sessions

*	Visitor Centre

*	Recruit, train, and coordinate volunteers on the front desk.
*	Maintain the Front Desk Manual for volunteers
*	Maintain the promo materials at the front desk
*	Ensure the front desk is well stocked with brochures, Activity Books, and “treasure”

*	Gift Shop

*	Manage orders and consignment agreements for Gift Shop stock.
*	Prepare Gift Shop reports as needed, including an annual inventory.
*	Produce sales reports in Shopify.
*	Prepare and manage an online Gift Shop through Shopify, including preparing and mailing online orders.
*	Maintain the cash float
*	Do weekly bank deposit

*	Additional duties as discussed with the Executive Director.

The ideal candidate will:

*	Have at least 2 years of experience working directly with volunteers.

*	Enjoy working with a range of ages and people from diverse backgrounds.
*	Be passionate about the role volunteering plays in the community.
*	Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
*	Have a positive outlook and be a good team player.
*	Have strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
*	Have the ability to work independently, be self-directed, and demonstrate initiative.
*	Be self driven and can easily handle multiple priorities with deadlines at once.
*	Be able to approach sensitive situations with tact.
*	Be enthusiastic and motivated to learn about maritime history.

The following are considered assets:

*	Familiarity with Better Impact
*	Familiarity with Kindful (where our current volunteer data is being tracked)
*	First Aid Certificate

The selected candidate will need to agree to and sign that they have read and understood the following:

*	Employee Manual
*	Code of Conduct
*	Vacation Policy

What We Offer:

*	Flexible time off including the option to substitute statutory holidays.
*	Health spending account after a probationary period of three months.
*	Five paid sick days a year.
*	Professional Development opportunities including paid time for cultural learning.
*	Enjoyable work that matters with a collaborative and supportive team.

Salary: Starting wage, $21.53 - $24.23/hour, depending on experience.

Schedule: 20 hours a week, spread between Tuesday to Saturday. An exact schedule is to be discussed with the Executive Director and could vary week by week. Some evening and weekend work will be required.

Application due: 3 March 2023 at 4pm

Start Date: Preferably 4 April 2023, but to be discussed. There will be a three-month probationary period.

TO APPLY

Please apply with a cover letter, resume, and three references in a single PDF to the HR Committee by email at  <mailto:bvis at mmbc.bc.ca> bvis at mmbc.bc.ca.

The Maritime Museum of BC actively welcomes and encourages applications from women, people with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and visible minorities.

We would like to thank all applications for their interest in this position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.

--

Brittany V. Vis, MLIS (she, her)

Executive Director

250-385-4222 ext. 106

 <http://mmbc.bc.ca/> Maritime Museum of British Columbia

The Maritime Museum of BC is on the territories of the Lək̓ʷəŋən Peoples, specifically the Songhees and Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) Nations, who have respected these lands and waters for thousands of years.