[BCMA] Emergency Response Resources

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Aug 18 08:10:10 PDT 2023

Hello everyone,

On behalf of the BCMA, our hearts go out to those impacted by forest fires.
The BCMA is reaching out to member organizations in evacuation warning
zones, but if you need emergency advice immediately, CCI offers a 24/7
hotline -  for advice from CCI, members of the Canadian heritage community
can call 1-866-998-3721 day or night and press 0 for Security. If your site
has been impacted by a disaster, the BCMA has partnered with BC HERN to
offer members support through the Emergency Response & Recovery Fund
<https://museum.bc.ca/bcma-emergency-response-fund/>.These events are
reminders that it is time to protect the irreplaceable before it is too
late. Climate change is an existential threat to museums, galleries,
heritage sites, intangible Indigenous cultural heritage, and the entire
arts sector. While the loss of objects pales in comparison to the human
suffering and loss of life caused by climate disasters, arts, culture, and
heritage make our society stronger, more vibrant, and are integral to
learning from the past in order to build a better future.If we do not plan
for future emergencies, we will witness the destruction of our shared arts,
culture, and heritage over and over again. In order to safeguard the
irreplaceable, we must act now.Read our full article here:
https://museum.bc.ca/opinion-its-time-to-protect-the-irreplaceable-before-its-too-late/The
following was sent to a number of newspapers around British Columbia the
week of August 14 as a part of the BCMA’s ongoing advocacy work to raise
awareness of the dangers that climate change poses to arts, culture, and
heritage organizations. This article was written before the recent
evacuation orders in the Okanagan and Northwest Territories.

All the best,

Ryan

*Ryan Hunt*
Executive Director
Pronouns: He/him To learn why pronouns are important, click here
<https://equity.ubc.ca/resources/gender-diversity/pronouns/>

Direct: 250-884-0499 || Office: 250-356-5700  || www.museum.bc.ca