[BCMA] Call for Submissions; Chilliwack Museum and Archives

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Apr 28 13:20:23 PDT 2023

Éy swáyel,
Call for Submissions
Submission Period: May 1 – November 4, 2023
Exhibition Dates: January 18 – June 8, 2024
Starting on May 1, 2023, the Chilliwack Museum and Archives welcomes submissions for an upcoming exhibition, Our Journey for Inclusion: 70 Years of Innovation, developed in partnership with Chilliwack Society for Community Living (CSCL) and Inclusion BC, displayed at the Chilliwack Museum and Archives from January 18 – June 8, 2024.
This exhibition commemorates CSCL’s 70th anniversary, and examines the history of institutionalization of individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities in British Columbia, while highlighting stories about the ongoing journey towards inclusion and access in Chilliwack.
Artists are encouraged to explore the theme of Wholeness, the principle that people with diverse abilities are whole and valued, and the importance of embracing disability as part of a person’s identity and a source of empowerment.
Submission Guidelines
The Chilliwack Museum and Archives is mandated to create experiences with local and global significance that encourage dialogue and inspire action, and to collaborate with the community to ensure that we operate in a representative, participatory, and inclusive manner.
We encourage applications from all of our community members, including artists with diverse abilities, and prioritize submissions from IBPOC artists, and persons of diverse gender identities and sexual orientations (LGBTQ2S+). We welcome artists of all ages and experience levels to participate.
We encourage submissions in any medium, including, but not limited to: collage, print-making, sculpture, textiles, ceramics, painting, drawing, photography, audio/video performance, poetry, etc.
Submissions are limited to three artworks per artist; however, the final selection and placement of works will be determined by a jury committee made up of staff, board members, and stakeholders. The Chilliwack Museum and Archives reserves the right to refuse pieces based on size, medium, and content.
Artists must be available to exhibit their works between January 18 and June 8, 2024. Applicants will be notified about the status of their submissions following the selection of works by the jury committee in November, 2023. Artwork drop-off and pick-up will be coordinated with the artist and the Chilliwack Museum and Archives once artwork has been selected for the exhibition.
To apply, please visit www.chilliwackmuseum.ca/exhibitions/submissions
Xyolhemethetchexw,
(You take care)

Kate Feltren
Curator
Chilliwack Museum and Archives

9291 Corbould St.
Chilliwack, BC V2P 4A6
Phone: (604) 795-5210 x.105
www.chilliwackmuseum.ca<http://www.chilliwackmuseum.ca/>
Find us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ChilliwackMuseumArchives>

The Chilliwack Museum & Archives is located on the traditional and unceded territory of the Ts’elxwéyeqw and
Pelólhxw communities of the Stó:lō. We are thankful for the opportunity to live and learn on this territory.