[BCMA] Job Posting: YCW Collections Associate at the Vancouver Maritime Museum

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Apr 12 10:35:22 PDT 2023

The Vancouver Maritime Museum is hiring a temporary full-time Collections Associate for the summer!

This temporary, full-time position is funded in part by the Young Canada Works (YCW) employment initiative of the Department of Canadian Heritage.

Collections Associate
Temporary, Full-Time
Employment term: May 15, 2023, to July 28, 2023 (11 weeks).

The Vancouver Maritime Museum is located on the traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh).

The Vancouver Maritime Museum is dedicated to inspiring people with the stories of the Pacific and Arctic waters and the ways in which they shape human lives. Through our programs and exhibits, we cultivate views of maritime history informed by diverse perspectives, partners, and voices. We are one of the major maritime museums on the west coast of North America and one of Vancouver’s flagship cultural institutions.

We seek to:

  *   Create powerful experiences that are accessible and inclusive.
  *   Address racism, and colonialism in our work.
  *   Make learning fun by approaching all we do with a sense of play, interactivity, curiosity, and joy.
  *   Work collaboratively in all we do.
  *   Ensure respectful treatment of belongings and stories.
  *   Advance research through public access to archives and collections.

We are seeking a motivated, enthusiastic, organized individual with a passion for history, to serve as a Collections Associate. They will assist the curatorial department in a cataloguing, digitizing, and deaccessioning project. The successful applicant will be organized and enthusiastic about collections and record management.

This is a Temporary Full-Time union position, as laid out in the Collective Agreement between CUPE 15 and the Vancouver Maritime Museum Society. The position is five days (35 hours) a week. Pay Grade 18, Step 1 ($21.96), plus 10% in lieu of benefits and statutory holidays.

Reporting to the Curator of Collections, responsibilities include:

  *   Working in museum’s storage facilities to inventory and digitize artifacts.
  *   Organizing, re-labeling, measuring, and conducting research on artifacts.
  *   Assisting the curatorial department in the VMM’s deaccessioning project by creating and updating deaccession records for the museum database.
  *   Photographing artifacts and uploading them to the museum's online database.
  *   Handling and packing artifacts following VMM's guidelines and the Canadian Museum Association's Standard Museum Practices and Principles.

Qualifications:

  *   University students entering 3rd year of education or higher, enrolled in archaeology, anthropology, museum studies, history or related programs.
  *   Prior experience with museum or museum collections management systems is an asset.
  *   Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
  *   Excellent communication, research and writing skills.
  *   Excellent organizational skills and an enthusiasm for history, community and education.
  *   Experience with digital photography and photoshop is an asset.
  *   Must have the ability to lift 20lbs.
  *   Experience and training in handling artifacts.
  *   Eligible candidates must meet requirements for the YCW program and be a full-time student (16-30 years old) or returning to full-time studies in the fall.

Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to the email address below. No telephone calls, please. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.

Jaclyn Pollock, Curator of Collections: curator.collections at vanmaritime.com<mailto:curator.collections at vanmaritime.com>

Deadline: April 28, 2023

Vancouver Maritime Museum
1905 Ogden Ave.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
V5J 1A3
vanmaritime.com
(604) 257-8300

Jaclyn Pollock, MA
Curator of Collections
Vancouver Maritime Museum
1905 Ogden Avenue | Vancouver, BC V6J 1A3
604.257.3095
www.vanmaritime.com<https://vancouvermaritimemuseum.com/>
We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh).