[BCMA] Kamloops Art Gallery Media Release | Zoe Kreye : I know about lots of things I've never see. and so do you. opens April 22

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Apr 3 13:35:31 PDT 2023

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D96631.27A58590]

Zoe Kreye, Somatic Painting Ritual, 2022, studio process, courtesy of the Artist
MEDIA RELEASE

For immediate release from
Kamloops Art Gallery
April 3, 2023

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D96631.27A58590]

Zoe Kreye
I know about lots of things I’ve never seen. And so do you.

April 22 to June 30, 2023
Central Gallery, Kamloops Art Gallery

Experience art made from the body with Vancouver-based artist Zoe Kreye’s immersive installation.

Kreye invites viewers to trust their instincts and embrace their internal knowledge through colorful fabric and sculptural objects at Kamloops Art Gallery.

I know about lots of things I’ve never seen. And so do you. invites us to trust our internal knowledge. Vancouver-based artist Zoe Kreye’s work is created through a studio practice informed by politicized somatics which grounds the artist in her body and allows her to connect with creative forces informed by her bodily sensations. Stretching canvas across the floor, Kreye uses ink to trace her bodily sensations, repeating and expanding the movement, creating rippling line drawings on rolls of 100-metre canvas. She creates repeated line patterns by sensing where her body wants to go in that moment, using her body to make the mark. Kreye uses exercises from dance, performance, therapy, and bodywork to refine her intuitive impulses that guide her movement and methods in the studio.

Designed specifically for the Kamloops Art Gallery’s space, an installation of fabric and sculptural objects forms arches, passageways, and cave entrances based on painted gestures that encapsulate the whole body. This fabric forms colourful, immersive spaces, including a hammock that invites visitors to rest and feel. I know about lots of things I’ve never seen. And so do you. recognizes the instinctive knowledge that we each bring to a gallery space and creates a space of reverence, offering the potential for transformative experiences into daily life.

Zoe Kreye is a full-time artist and mother currently living in Vancouver, the unceded, traditional and ancestral territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), and səl̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples. Kreye’s lineage is of white Northern European ancestry (German, British, Scottish, Scandinavian) and western art historical, spiritual, and educational values. Her work seeks to unlearn the myths of separation and supremacy that uphold these legacies.

Curated by Charo Neville, Curator, Kamloops Art Gallery

Read the full exhibition text here<https://kag.bc.ca/all-exhibitions/kreye>.

I know about lots of things I’ve never seen. And so do you. is a quote from Clarice Lispector, dedication by the author in The Hour of the Star, trans. Benjamin Moser, 2nd ed. (New York: New Directions, 2011), xiv.

Media Information
Charo Neville, Curator
250.377.2410
cneville at kag.bc.ca

About the Kamloops Art Gallery

The Kamloops Art Gallery, established in 1978, is located in Tk̓emlupsemcúlecw, the traditional and unceded lands of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc. The largest art gallery in Secwepemcúl̓ecw (the Interior of British Columbia), the Gallery offers national caliber art experiences through a diverse range of accessible and affordable exhibitions, talks, tours, and studio-based programming for all ages and abilities, and boasts a collection of over 3,000 works of art.

[signature_1840475354]

KAMLOOPS ART GALLERY
101 – 465 Victoria Street, Kamloops, BC  V2C 2A9
250.377.2400  |  www.kag.bc.ca<http://www.kag.bc.ca/>

The Kamloops Art Gallery is situated on the traditional unceded lands of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc within Secwepemcúl’ecw; the traditional territory of the Secwépemc people.