[BCMA] Touring exhbition opportunity

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Sep 6 15:29:31 PDT 2022

Dear Friends and Colleagues;

I am reaching out to you to see if there might be in the interest and an opportunity to share our current summer exhibition, A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words, Art and Activism: Contemporary printmaking from Oaxaca, Mexico, with your community. The exhibition continues here at the Penticton Art Gallery through to September 17th.

This exhibition has received considerable interest from everyone who has been through the gallery this summer and I the most common question we receive is, Where is it touring to next?

In that spirit and in the best interest of the artists whose work makes up this exhibition I am reaching out to you all to see if there would be any interested in exploring the possibility of hosting this exhibition in whole or in part as it’s easy to transport and adapt to almost any size gallery or exhibition space. There are so many opportunities for community engagement that will take the exhibition out into the community and we would be thrilled to be able to explore any and all opportunities to partner with anyone of you who would be interested in hosting this exhibition.

This exhibition is focused on the incredible work done by two of the leading artist collectives from Oaxaca, Mexico comprised of young art students and street artists. They employ multiple mediums including block prints, large-scale graffiti murals, interventionist stencils, and wheat pastes. Both collectives owe their roots to the Asamblea de Artistas Revolucionarios de Oaxaca (ASARO) which was formed in 2006. ASARO was part of a broader social movement, part of which advocated for higher teachers' salaries and access to school supplies. They exercise their collective voices through artistic interventions taking their art to the streets and public spaces. They believe in collective social action utilizing modern conventions in graffiti, printmaking, and contemporary communication through social networking. From these beginnings Colectivo Subterráneo and Taller Artístico Comunitario have firmly established their own place in Oaxaca's rich cultural history attracting international attention as well as state-sanctioned support for their artists' workshops, while also using their notoriety to teach Oaxacan youth the importance of publicly expressing and exhibiting their perspectives on the visual landscape.

Taller Artístico Comunitario (T.A.C.)

www.instagram.com/urtarte_oaxaca/?hl=en

Community Artistic Workshop (TAC) which is the physical space from where they work collaboratively giving workshops, talks and other artistic activities under the pretext of a social struggle. By obtaining a permanent workshop, the collective has produced different graphic projects in large format to be taken to the streets of the city of Oaxaca mainly because of the political situation in that state, given that it is a highly politicized territory where there is a great deal of inequality of opportunity and social backwardness in general, a state that is being deprived of its natural resources, their traditions, clothing and culture in general."

Colectivo Subterráneo

www.instagram.com/subterraneos.oax/?hl=en

We exist, because we resist. For the oppressed, for the invisible, for those who wanted to bury, the underground, we exist. Subterraneos is a graphic art collective, focused on social problems that are not seen by today's society and that are hidden from the sunlight. Focused on murals and monumental graphic art.

http://pentictonartgallery.com/events-calendar/2022/7/8/a-picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words

Here are some media links featuring this exhibition for your consideration:

Galleries West
www.gallerieswest.ca/magazine/stories/revolutionary-art/

Penticton Herald
www.pentictonherald.ca/news/article_7481b40c-1a8b-11ed-ba2c-bb69f44674c7.html

Penticton Now
www.pentictonnow.com/watercooler/news/news/Penticton/Stunning_Mexican_street_art_highlights_powerful_Penticton_Art_Gallery_summer_show/

Castanet
www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/375782/Penticton-Art-Gallery-showcases-provocative-Mexican-political-street-art-from-Oaxaca

Thank you all for your time and consideration and I look forward to any potential conversations and exploring any possible opportunities which might come of this email.

Yours,

Paul F. Crawford
Director/Curator
Penticton Art Gallery
199 Marina Way
Penticton, B.C.
V2A 1H5 Canada

Phone:  <tel:%28250%29%20493-2928> (250) 493-2928
Web:  <http://www.pentictonartgallery.com/> www.pentictonartgallery.com
Email: curator at pentictonartgallery.com

On the unceded territory of the Syilx (Okanagan) Peoples.

www.avg.com