[BCMA] Job Opportunity at MOV - Summer Digital Collections Technician (YCW)

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Mar 24 09:08:29 PDT 2022

Hello – Museum of Vancouver has a summer student job opportunity through Young Canada Works. We’re seeking a Digital Collections Technician. A PDF of the posting is attached and here’s a link to the employment opportunity section of the MOV website. Please feel free to forward to anyone who may be interested. Many thanks!
https://museumofvancouver.ca/employment-opportunities

Job Opportunity: Summer Digital Collections Technician (YCW)
Pending approval of funding, the Museum of Vancouver is seeking a Summer Digital Collections Technician to assist with a digital asset inventory, as well as cataloguing and digitization of new acquisitions. This temporary full-time position is funded in part by the Young Canada Works employment initiative, a joint venture of the Department of Canadian Heritage and the Parks Canada Agency.

As a civic organization, the Museum of Vancouver is committed to deepening our collective understanding of the City through our common stories, objects and experiences. MOV conceptualizes this through our engagement priorities, which have been focus into four broad areas that we have deemed our pillars. These include: redress and decolonization; immigration and diversity; environment and sustainability; and urban and contemporary issues.

The Museum of Vancouver is located on the unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) and Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) Nations, at the site of the ancestral Village of Sen̓áḵw – neighbouring the current Sḵwx̱wú7mesh reserve of the same name.

Description of the Position
The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for assisting with a preservation inventory of audio-visual and digital materials in MOV’s collection, as well as cataloging, numbering, digitizing and storing new acquisitions. The successful candidate will work closely with the Conservator and Curator of Collections, and participate in Collections Committee, Curatorial, and all-staff meetings.

Qualifications and Experience
MOV is searching for a post-secondary student, ideally with at least one year of education in information management, archiving, library, museum, conservation or related field. Previous experience in a museum or archives environment involving digital material and databases is an asset. An interest or knowledge in digital and analog audio-visual formats is an asset. The candidate must possess good written and oral communication skills in English, be detail oriented, manually dexterous, be comfortable in a fast-paced, multi-faceted organization and have an interest in museums.

Eligibility
•             Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible
•             Be legally entitled to work in Canada
•             Be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
•             Be willing to commit to a work assignment lasting for 15 weeks
•             Not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW
•             Have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW job
•             Intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job

Hours and Remuneration
Hourly Rate: $17.25 per hour + 8% in lieu of benefits and statutory holidays
Hours of Work: 35 hours regular work week
Start Date: May 9, 2022
End Date: August 26, 2022

Note: Students with a disability are eligible for part-time work

How To Apply
Please apply in writing with a resume and cover letter to the attention of Wendy Nichols, Curator of Collections, at wnichols at museumofvancouver.ca<mailto:wnichols at museumofvancouver.ca>

Deadline for application: April 10, 2022

The Museum of Vancouver strives for equity and diversity. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, and identification as an Indigenous person.
Regretfully, only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.

Best,
Greg Fruno
Director of Operations & Visitor Experience
Museum of Vancouver
1100 Chestnut Street, Vancouver, BC  V6J 3J9
Office 604-730-5302 | Cell 604-341-6617
museumofvancouver.ca<https://museumofvancouver.ca/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D83F5E.8A153130]

Featured Exhibitions:

Boarder X <https://museumofvancouver.ca/boarder-x>

That Which Sustains Us<https://museumofvancouver.ca/that-which-sustains-us>

A Seat at the Table:<https://museumofvancouver.ca/a-seat-at-the-table-mov> Chinese Immigration and British Columbia

We acknowledge that MOV is located within the unceded, ancestral territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.