[BCMA] Questions About Digitization Strategies and Plans

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Mar 21 09:28:53 PDT 2022

Hi everyone,

The Golden Museum and Archives has been working on digitizing our archival
collection for public access. After some research and discussions between
the staff and the board, we have decided to explore the idea of creating a
Digitization Strategy that will help us determine strategic goals,
purposes, and procedures for the digitization process.

Currently we are trying to decide whether it this process should be done in
house with the current staff and board of directors, or contract it out to
someone with a little more experience. The Golden Museum only has a single
full-time worker and a single part-time worker, other than summer students,
so time constraints may be an issue to consider.

Has anyone done a Digitization Strategy before that has any tips on where
to begin, or an estimate of how long it may take? Has anyone used a
consultant or contractor for this type of project that they can recommend?

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

*Brittany Newman    **(She/Her**) *       Executive Director

Golden Museum and Archives
1302 11th Ave S, Golden BC, V0A 1H0
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/Golden+%26+District+Museum/@51.2922114,-116.9631953,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x5379bf96b43fc203:0x194db531bf58fa85!8m2!3d51.2922129!4d-116.9611077>
PO Box 992, Golden BC, V0A 1H0

T 250 344-5169    |   F 250 344-5169
museum.golden at gmail.com  <museum.golden at gmail.com>  |
https://goldenbcmuseums.com/
Join us on: Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/museum.golden/>  |  Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/museum.golden>

The Golden Museum and Archives operates on the territory of the Ktunaxa
Nation, shared by the Secwepmc Peoples, and home to the Metis Nation
Columbia River Society. We are grateful for the privilege to work and play
on their territory.