[BCMA] Moth Balls Smell

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Jul 14 14:02:32 PDT 2022

Hello Lewis,

Moth ball smell is pretty difficult to get out of clothing. If you have an area outside in the shade where you can hang the pieces, that is probably your best options. I have heard of conservation labs creating a box with an air suction device to help air out objects. I think it took a few weeks running almost constantly to remove the smell. Sadly there is no quick easy solution.
If you do hang them outside do a pest check and put them in the freezer for 2 days to kill anything that might be living in them.

I will say the off gassing smell is harmful when breathed in over a long period of time so I would bag them up until you have a place to air them out. This will also prevent the smell from binding to other objects in your collection.

I know our museum really thinks twice about accepting anything that has a mothball smell. It is unfortunate when you have to weigh the importance of the objects against the risk to staff and the rest of the collection, but sometimes it is better to throw some objects away.

Good luck!

Thank you / way̓ limləmt,
Nikki Bose

[nbose]