[BCMA] tax-based funding for small museums

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Jul 7 15:19:54 PDT 2022

We get funding from the regional district. We did it by going to referendum.
Over the years we have had three referendums, with the last one in 2008
where 83% of the voters supported an increase to their property taxes to
provide us with funding. About 10 years ago, the regional district passed a
bylaw that allows them to provide annual increases without having to go back
to referendum. We send in our budget request each year, and as long as it
fits within their budget increase guidelines, it get approved (typically
2%). This year we get $215,000. We also have a negotiated contract with the
District of Sooke specifically to fund the visitor centre portion of our
operations, we do a five year contract with them that outlines what services
we will provide them.

Creston has also gone the referendum route.

Cheers
Lee Boyko
Sooke Region Museum