[BCMA] Job Opportunity: Collections Intern

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Jul 29 14:12:52 PDT 2022

Temporary Employment Opportunity

Position: Collections Intern

Term: October 3 to March 31, 2022

Schedule: Mondays to Fridays, 9:00 am to 4:30 pm (some weekend and evening work may be required)

Salary: $18.00/hr

Number of Positions: 1

Location: 4000 Seymour Place, Victoria BC (MMBC off-site storage facility)

Note: This position is for a graduate from a post-secondary program who is under 30 years of age.

A BIT ABOUT US

The Maritime Museum of BC opened in 1955 as a naval museum located on Signal Hill just outside the gates of the HMC Dockyard in Esquimalt, then moved in 1965 to the historic Bastion Square Courthouse in downtown Victoria. The Museum has since relocated to a new public storefront location at 744 Douglas St., where we have our exhibits, public research space, and a gift shop. The majority of our collections are now stored off-site but are still accessible through our research request program.

Mission:

Engage communities in witnessing and preserving maritime heritages.

Vision:

Maritime experiences are boldly embraced, shared and lived from a cultural centre on the waterfront.

Values:

Inclusion: We embrace diversity, equity and accessibility in all we do.  We are welcoming.

Respect: We are compassionate, empathetic and humble. Our results are propelled by collaboration and teamwork.

Integrity: We are open, honest and transparent. Our work is anchored by being responsible, accountable, authentic, and socially and environmentally responsible.

Innovation: We are curious, dynamic and adventurous. Our work is fueled by passion, action and flexibility.

Salty: We are everything maritime. Our work is meaningful, impactful and relevant.

The museum cares for a collection of approximately 35,000 objects, 200 meters of archival materials, and 8,500 library books, along with three sailboats. We offer a series of programs targeting different demographics and we host several major events throughout the year including the Victoria Classic Boat Festival.

THE CHALLENGE

The MMBC is embarking on an extensive cataloguing project of the object collection. We need a Collections Intern to help with these efforts. The Collections Intern will focus on cataloguing the BC Ferries items in our collection and help us process loan documentation. We know the heart of the museum is the collection and as such we want to continue improving our efforts to increase our collections management systems by increasing the number of objects thoroughly catalogued.

This position will also work with museum programming staff to deliver digital content relating to the collections, specifically our Facebook live collection tours and YouTube Maritime Minute videos. This includes selecting and researching objects, preparing a script, being on camera, and helping with the tech as needed.

THE OPPORTUNITY

We are looking for someone who has strong attention to detail and has experience with data entry, preferably in a museum setting. This position can help put someone on the path towards a rewarding career in museum collections management.

THE TEAM

Our team at the MMBC is tight-knit, flexible, and excited about the work we do. We work closely with an amazing and supportive group of committed volunteers and Board members. We all come from different backgrounds, which we believe is part of our strength!

YOUR SKILL SET

*	Strong attention to detail
*	Ability to undertake detailed tasks and follow direction
*	Ability to work closely as a team
*	Ability to work independently when required
*	Working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
*	Basic knowledge of Canadian and BC history

WITHIN 1 WEEK YOU'LL

*	Receive a review of all relevant MMBC protocols and safety measures, including the COVID Safety Plans.
*	Be introduced to the MMBC’s storage facility and public location.
*	Gain understanding of the MMBC’s IT systems and collections database.
*	Gain hands-on experience with museum cataloguing.
*	Become familiar with the MMBC’s collection photography and condition reporting protocols.
*	Be provided with an overview of the digital work.

WITHIN 1 MONTH YOU'LL

*	Confidently catalogue museum objects according to professional standards and re-store them in professional storage supplies.
*	Be familiar with collections loan procedures and documentation standards.
*	Have received training on the Facebook Live Tours and YouTube Maritime Minute videos and have helped prepare at least one of each.

WITHIN 3 MONTHS YOU'LL

*	Continue cataloguing museum objects according to professional standards.
*	Have gained and honed knowledge on cataloguing theory and practice and how this relates to an overall collection’s management plan.
*	Feel confident being on camera and knowing what makes good virtual content.

WITHIN 6 MONTHS YOU’LL

*	Have gained skills in collection loan management for both incoming and outgoing loans.
*	Confidently know how to research within a collection and be familiar with ways to engage the public in collections care.

ELIGIBILITY:

This position is funded in part through the Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage (YCW-BCH) internship program. An individual may be eligible for an internship if they:

*	are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
*	are legally entitled to work in Canada;
*	will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
*	are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
*	will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
*	are an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate, that is, not employed full-time;
*	are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program; and
*	have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada's  <http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/epb/yi/yep/newprog/general.shtml> Youth Employment Strategy.

Candidates who identify with the Government of Canada’s job equity groups (i.e. youth with a disability, Aboriginal youth, visible minorities and new Canadians) are encouraged to apply.

A criminal record check will be required of the successful applicant.

Please apply with a cover letter, resume, and three references in that order in a single PDF to Heather Feeney, Collections and Exhibits Manager, by email at hfeeney at mmbc.bc.ca.

Applications are due by 4:00 PM on September 9, 2022.

We would like to thank all applications for their interest in this position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.

--

Brittany V. Vis, MLIS (she, her)

Executive Director

250-385-4222 ext. 106

 <http://mmbc.bc.ca/> Maritime Museum of British Columbia

The Maritime Museum of BC is on the territories of the Lək̓ʷəŋən Peoples, specifically the Songhees and Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) Nations, who have respected these lands and waters for thousands of years.