[BCMA] Gathering of the Heritage Sector: Bill C-23, New federal heritage legislation - Virtual Event, July 19

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Jul 18 08:42:21 PDT 2022

 Join us tomorrow at 1:00 PM Eastern Time.

<https://regenerationworks.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5dd5f9c97cc4e7df3f1a5d21d&id=7e3764a2fd&e=dea7b7e595>

*Tuesday, July 19*
*Gathering of the Heritage Sector:Bill C-23, New federal heritage
legislation <https://regenerationworks.ca/event/?id=81181812160>*
*1:00 PM Eastern Time*

*Did you know that Canada is the only G-7 country without laws to protect
heritage places owned or recognized by its national government? *

On June 7, the Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Environment and
Climate Change and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, tabled Bill C-23,
proposing legislation dedicated to the designation and protection of
federally-owned historic places.

The Bill has now passed first reading.

Join us tomorrow
<https://regenerationworks.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5dd5f9c97cc4e7df3f1a5d21d&id=84fb1e37aa&e=dea7b7e595>
to hear about the Bill from Parks Canada colleagues and discuss next steps
with others from the sector. Among other things, it is an opportunity to
assess the Bill against earlier recommendations from the National Trust and
its National Council partner organizations about what this long-awaited
legislation should cover.

*See the recommendations here: Proposed Federal Heritage Legislation –
National Trust and Council Recommendations
<https://regenerationworks.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5dd5f9c97cc4e7df3f1a5d21d&id=74f2c38979&e=dea7b7e595>*
National Trust Moderators:

*Natalie Bull, Executive Director Chris Wiebe, Heritage Policy & Government
Relations Miranda Jimmy, Reconciliation, Diversity, and Inclusion*

With Special Guests Panelists:

*John Aldag, MP, Cloverdale-Langley City, BC Christine Loth-Bown,
Vice-President, Indigenous Affairs and Cultural Heritage, Parks Canada
Geneviève Charrois, Director, Cultural Heritage Legislation, Policy and
Planning, Parks Canada*

*Note: In the interest of engaging all attendees in discussion, the format
will allow anyone to participate by raising their hand to speak
(optional). You can also contribute in writing using the Chat and Q&A
options.*
Register Now <https://regenerationworks.ca/event/?id=81181812160>

*Not sure you can attend? *
<https://regenerationworks.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5dd5f9c97cc4e7df3f1a5d21d&id=cbdd068a12&e=dea7b7e595>
and we’ll email you a recording approximately 24 hours after the session.*

<https://regenerationworks.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5dd5f9c97cc4e7df3f1a5d21d&id=d61e03f976&e=dea7b7e595>

<https://regenerationworks.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5dd5f9c97cc4e7df3f1a5d21d&id=06af0dd060&e=dea7b7e595>

<https://regenerationworks.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5dd5f9c97cc4e7df3f1a5d21d&id=5b4d20e072&e=dea7b7e595>

<https://regenerationworks.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5dd5f9c97cc4e7df3f1a5d21d&id=b44db6df63&e=dea7b7e595>

<https://regenerationworks.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5dd5f9c97cc4e7df3f1a5d21d&id=caa19924e1&e=dea7b7e595>

<https://regenerationworks.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=5dd5f9c97cc4e7df3f1a5d21d&id=dd4050260e&e=dea7b7e595>

*190 Bronson Avenue, Ottawa, ON, K1R 6H4*
*Unceded Algonquin Anishinabe Territory*
The National Trust for Canada acknowledges and respects the ancestral lands
of Indigenous peoples, and their cultural and traditional relationships
with the land and environment. We know that Canada’s history and heritage
is complex and contentious, dominated by white settler perspectives, and
that our work and the system we are a part of needs to change. We believe
that diversity means inclusion and reflection of all people including
cultures, languages and perspectives. Join us on our journey to understand
Indigenous ways of being, do our part to support Reconciliation with
Indigenous peoples, and find ways to serve more underrepresented
communities in our work to protect and celebrate Canada’s diverse heritage
places.