[BCMA] Possibly Medical Instruments?

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Jan 28 14:05:31 PST 2022

Hello again everyone,

I came across these two items this week and I'd love some input on what you
all think they might be.

The "pen" has a teardrop-shaped head which is quite thin and with some
pressure I can cut through paper. Overall it has a decent weight. The head
unscrews and the body is hollow and I can actually flip over the head piece
and screw it in so the scalpel part is concealed within the body. There are
no distinguishing marks. The stand is just a plain block of wood, no marks
whatsoever. The larger hole is 3/4" in diameter and there is an
indent/divot at the bottom. The smaller hole is maybe 3-4mm in diameter and
the pen will sit in it though I'm unsure if it's actually supposed to.

Second is a small, thin metal tube which can come apart into two pieces.
One hollow tube fits into the other to create a pretty good seal. Both ends
have a little knob with a hole through it. Both pieces are about 4" long
and 3/4" in diameter.

The "pen" and wooden block were part of an anonymous donation along with 12
other medical items. The tube was seemingly never accessioned into our
system. I've also emailed the Museum of Health Care at Kingston in Ontario
as they've been quite helpful identifying previous medical items for me.

Thanks,
Breanne

--
Breanne Malo