[BCMA] Travelling Exhibit offerings from the Kelowna Museums Society

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Jan 20 16:39:32 PST 2022

Good day everyone,

As we move forward into 2022, the Kelowna Museums Society would like to let you know about the travelling exhibits that we have available for rental.
We have three current offerings: The Social Life of Water, Bats: Out of the Darkness, and Waterways: Past Present and Future, and all are available immediately.

The Social Lift of Water explores the Okanagan’s watershed and the relationships people have had with it over time. The exhibition is arranged like a journey through the watershed, starting at the snowy peak of the upper watershed and ending at the Okanagan River. The exhibition was developed collaboratively by a team of Indigenous and non-Indigenous researchers and artists from the educational, heritage and environmental sectors. It is a modular exhibition that can fit a variety of spaces.

Bats: Out of the Darkness aims to bring the bats of British Columbia ‘out of the darkness and into our consciousness.’ Most of us are in the dark about bats, and their survival depends on our enlightenment. BATS is primarily composed of double-sided pop-up walls, which contain stories, information and incredible photographs. Video and audio elements foster interaction and help bring concepts to life. Bat specimens and objects, including a bat house and diorama, may be borrowed by institutions that meet the facility criteria. BATS: Out of the Darkness features family-friendly content, and was developed in collaboration with a wide variety of community partners, from scientists and environmental educators to chiropterologists (bat experts) and representatives of the syilx/Okanagan Nation.

Waterways explores the nature of our relationship with water – from the impact of development and climate change on the environment to the importance of Traditional Ecological Knowledge in ensuring all living things have clean water, now and in the future. The display showcases examples of Indigenous-led restoration and
features immersive media, which includes a video installation featuring the insights of Elders and Knowledge Keepers of the syilx Okanagan community, scientists and conservationists. There is also a highly realistic virtual world where visitors can explore what the Okanagan waterways were like before development via a touch-screen interface.

Further information is available at https://www.kelownamuseums.ca/exhibits/ , or feel free to contact me for more information or with any questions that you may have.

Thank you / way̓ limləmt,
Jasmine

[J Marshall 2019 email signature]