[BCMA] Sidney Museum Seeking New Executive Director

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Apr 29 10:37:23 PDT 2022

Sidney, B.C, April 23, 2022 - As tourism begins to reopen, so too does the
job market in the fields tied to it, and the heritage field is seeing a
large number of postings across the province of late. This month two
members of the Sidney Museum staff moved on to exciting new chapters in
their careers. Both staff credit the experience gained during their time at
the Museum as a key element in enabling them to take this next step. Next
month, Alyssa Gerwing, Executive Director, is likewise moving on to a new
position in Northern BC at the Exploration Place Museum and Science Centre,
where she will join their Curatorial Department. The Exploration Place is a
national award winning organisation in Prince George, which has recently
undergone a massive renovation and is set to reopen in June after a
multi-year closure. The newly expanded Curatorial Department was seeking to
fill a gap in their roster; a position for which Gerwing’s expertise and
experience was recruited for.

Alyssa Gerwing has been with the Sidney Museum for over four years, first
as their Assistant Director and then as their Executive Director during the
pandemic. In that time the Museum has won numerous grants and undertaken a
major renovation, digitization project and collections management upgrade.
In addition, the team has grown from one full time and one part time staff
member to three full time positions. The Museum has also welcomed a number
of professional travelling exhibits from institutions ranging from the
Nikkei National Museum and Cultural Centre to the Canadian Museum of
History. Ms. Gerwing notes “I am extremely proud of our accomplishments,
including the digitization of the Peninsula News Review, and all the
milestones we passed to professionalise our Museum practice.”

Reflecting on her more than four years with the Museum, Gerwing states “My
time with the Sidney Museum and Archives has been overwhelmingly positive,
and I feel privileged for having been a part of this team. The experience I
have gained is invaluable. I am sad to say goodbye to the community I have
found here in Sidney and North Saanich, where the support shown to the
Museum has always been steadfast and exceedingly generous. I am happy to be
heading back to my hometown to take this next step in my career with the
team at Exploration Place.”

At present, the Museum has hired a new Education and Outreach Coordinator,
and is in the process of accepting applications for Assistant Director and
Archivist until May 1st. The search for a new Executive Director will begin
in May . Please see the website for more information (
https://sidneymuseum.ca/employment/). Everyone at the Sidney Museum is sad
to see the three staff go, but are also grateful for everything they have
done, and wish them the best of luck as they move forward with their
careers. In the meantime, the Museum will be temporarily closed on Tuesdays
and Wednesdays.
– –
For more information contact:
HR Committee - Sidney Museum jobs at sidneymuseum.ca
Alyssa Leier - Curator, Exploration Place
alyssa.leier at theexplorationplace.com (250)981-5913

https://www.saanichnews.com/news/executive-director-moving-on-from-sidney-museum-and-archives/

--

Alyssa Gerwing, MA, MLIS

Executive Director
Sidney Museum & Archives

2423 Beacon Avenue L3

Sidney, BC V8L 1X5

T 250.655.6355

Web sidneymuseum.ca

Email director at sidneymuseum.ca

Please note that I will not be available when the Museum is closed on
Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Please note that my last day with the Sidney Museum and Archives will be
May 14th, 2022.