[BCMA] Black and Rural: A National Artistic Inquiry

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Sat Sep 25 21:28:09 PDT 2021

Dear BC Museums Association,

My name is Shayna Jones and I am a professional performance artist,
specializing in the oral storytelling of Afrocentric folklore and
contemporary experience. I am also the founder of a nationally funded
artistic inquiry called Black and Rural. The aim of Black and Rural is to
gather, honour, and showcase the reflections and insights of Canadians of
African ancestry tucked away on the countryside. Individuals who live
rurally at present, or who have in the past, are welcome to include their
voice through the following means:

   -

   one on one conversation with me via phone or Zoom;
   -

   an online survey;
   -

   and/or through submissions of their own creative choosing (poetry, short
   stories, music, photography, etc.).

 The responses will be curated for inclusion on the Black and Rural legacy
website and also sculpted into a theatrical performance piece that will be
toured to rural and urban settings across Canada.

*We are actively looking for participants. *Please distribute this email
broadly and freely invite anyone you know who may be interested in
participating. They may connect to me and learn more about the project
through any of the following means*:*

Email: info at blackandrural.com

Web: www.blackandrural.com

Facebook: @blackandruralproject

Please reach out with any questions you may have. I look forward to hearing
from you.

Warmly,

*Shayna JonesBlack + Rural Founder *
*www.blackandrural.com <http://www.blackandrural.com/>*
*www.wearestoryfolk.com <http://www.wearestoryfolk.com/> *
*778-205-4682*

 "until the story of the hunt is told by the Lion, the tale of the hunt
will always glorify the hunter." - African proverb