[BCMA] Sept 30th, VMM Free Virtual Event - National Day of Truth and Reconciliation & World Maritime Day

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Sep 28 09:51:30 PDT 2021

Hello all,

This Thursday, September 30th at 6:30 p.m. please join the Vancouver Maritime Museum for a free virtual event, Paddles Up :: An Honour Guard for the Children – Celebrating the Rich Waterborne Culture of the Coast Salish Peoples.

September 30 is Orange Shirt Day. It’s also World Maritime Day and National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. Paddles Up is in honour of these three days of recognition.

This event will be a panel discussion about the maritime time aspect of Indigenous history. Indigenous panelists will speak about Indigenous maritime culture and discuss how bodies of water like the Burrard Inlet are still used today by the Coast Salish people. The panelists will also discuss colonialism and its effects, particularly residential schools.

To learn more about the event, panelists, or to register please visit  https://vanmaritime.com/paddles-up-an-honour-guard-for-the-children/

Thanks and we look forward to seeing you there.

Cheers,

Kanchan Lal (she/her)

Programs Coordinator

Education & Programs Department Head

Vancouver Maritime Museum

1905 Ogden Avenue | Vancouver, BC V6J 1A3

www.vanmaritime.com<http://www.vanmaritime.com/>

Email: education at vanmaritime.com

P: 604.257.8306   C: 604.836.9823

We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh).

[cid:e62bfc9b-dfcd-4993-996f-56955de77674]