[BCMA] [MEDIA RELEASE] Christine May appointed Curator at Kelowna Art Gallery

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Oct 7 12:13:35 PDT 2021

For Immediate Release

Christine May appointed Curator at Kelowna Art Gallery

October 7, 2021 - Kelowna, BC: The Kelowna Art Gallery is pleased to announce the appointment of Christine May as Curator.

"We would like to extend a warm welcome to Christine," says Nataley Nagy, Executive Director. "She brings a background in art history and museum studies as you might expect, along with recent experience, including a key role at the Gardiner Museum. Perhaps most importantly, I know she is enthused about diving in and getting acquainted with the Okanagan's vibrant art community."

May holds an MA in Art History from Concordia University, Montréal and a Bachelor's Degree in Art History and Museum Studies from Arizona State University. Originally from Saskatchewan, she has worked in exhibitions management across Canada, including the Mendel Art Gallery (Saskatoon), the Toronto International Film Festival, and the Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art (Toronto).

"I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with the team at the Kelowna Art Gallery in our collective goal of delivering diverse, inclusive, and engaging exhibitions to the public" says incoming Curator Christine May. "I'm excited to contribute my expertise and vision to the incredible programmes that have already been established and to grow along with the Okanagan community."

May's curatorial interests focus on socially engaged art, interdisciplinary practices in contemporary art, and community art. She is passionate about showcasing Canadian talent, championing emerging artists, and bringing greater equity to all of her programming. She welcomes questions from the public and can be contacted at 250-762-2226 ext 303, or christine at kelownaartgallery.com<mailto:christine at kelownaartgallery.com>.

The Kelowna Art Gallery is located at 1315 Water Street in the heart of the Cultural District in downtown Kelowna. The Gallery showcases a variety of historical and contemporary Canadian artists, through the exhibition of their work in five unique spaces.

- 30 -

To arrange for an interview with Christine May, or for additional high-res images please contact:

Joshua Desnoyers
Marketing and Events Coordinator

Kelowna Art Gallery
1315 Water Street, Kelowna, BC V1Y 9R3