[BCMA] Museum of the Cariboo Chilcotin - Digitization

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Oct 1 09:34:43 PDT 2021

Hello,

At Point Ellice House we have undertaken a couple of digitization projects including large format art works and small format archival materials. Our archive is not anywhere close to being completely digitized but we are (slowly) getting through it.

1) Digitization of our archival collections: We purchased an Epson Perfection V850 Pro scanner to do this work in-house. We have been picking away at it over the last 2 years. This is a small format scanner - but great for most images and documents.
2) We have also digitized our large format artworks. We contracted out for this (to Coast Imaging) https://coastimagingarts.com/. We worked cooperatively with Ernst to have these large artworks digitized on site and our staff was present to handle all of the art. He did a fantastic job and I highly recommend him.
3) Our collection is owned by the province so our catalogue and digitized materials are uploaded to the Provincial Heritage Artifact Database which we have routed to through our website.
4) I recently put a proposal together for the province for digitization of other parts of our collection (sorted by object type: furniture, textiles, etc) and am happy to share a version of this if you think it might be helpful to piece together a timeline for your project.

We are looking at starting a larger digitization project on objects in the coming months so if I come across anything else that I think you all might find helpful, I will let you know!

Sincerely,

Christeah Dupont

Assistant Curator
[She/Her]