[BCMA] Recommendation for digital tools inside an exhibition.

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed May 19 15:22:02 PDT 2021

The Alberni Valley Museum is considering adding digital interactive components to our permanent exhibition. The idea is to add a few different digital tools to pilot test them and see what works with our audience. That will help us figure out a long-term plan for expanding our use of interactive digital components.

We are considering:

  *   One or a few interactive kiosks
  *   an onsite mobile tour, either Bring Your Own Device or on devices we provide.
  *   A touchscreen where one can explore images of our textile collection.

Our permanent exhibition consists mainly of visible storage collections and a few interpretation panels. We were hoping the kiosk(s) could be somehow linked to the Past Perfect database so people can search individual objects.

There are so many products, approaches and brands to choose from, we are unsure what to start with. We would like to hear about other museum's experience with the digital tools they use within their walls.

What worked for you? What didn't.

Did you create the tools yourself? Did you hire someone to custom make it for you? Did you subscribe to an already made solution?

What product do you or do you not recommend?

Thank you all for your help!

  Amy Vandal
  Museum Assistant

  250-720-2501