[BCMA] Steps Museums and Museum Professionals Can Take to Make a Difference

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon May 31 12:38:15 PDT 2021

*The BCMA Council and staff extend our most sincere sympathies to
Indigenous communities for whom Thursday’s tragic news brings grief,
trauma, and feelings of unimaginable loss.*

This tragic news is an undeniable reminder of the violent genocide of
Indigenous peoples and cultures upon which the nation known as Canada was
founded. On a human level, it is difficult to comprehend the loss and
suffering experienced by the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc First Nation and all
Indigenous peoples across the country. For settlers, confronting our
colonial legacy and making meaningful steps towards truth and
reconciliation can feel like an impossible task compared to the enormity of
pain we have caused.

But now is not the time for inaction. There are tangible, concrete steps
that museums and museum professionals can take today that can make a
difference.

If you are offended, saddened, or enraged by Thursday’s news and want to do
your part, there are things you can do to take action.

*Please follow this link to the BCMA website
<https://museum.bc.ca/steps-museums-and-museum-professionals-can-take-to-make-a-difference/>
for a list of resources and suggested actions that individuals and
institutions can take.*

www.museum.bc.ca