[BCMA] seeking contributions for new research/potential future exhibition project

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed May 26 11:31:47 PDT 2021

I am writing in my capacity as a research assistant with the University
of Victoria, under the supervision of Dr. Darlene Clover and Dr. Kathy
Sanford.

We are reaching out to you about a new research/potential future
exhibition project entitled _Cultures of Head Coverings_, to see if you
have existing collections that we can learn from. This is a joint effort
between the University of Victoria (Professors Darlene Clover and Kathy
Sanford) and the Royal British Columbia Museum (Curator Dr. Tzu-I
Chung).

This new project is built upon the idea of _Cultures of Headscarves_, a
travelling multi-media exhibition that was created by a group of women
artists, curators and academics connected with the Women's Museums in
Bonn and Nuremberg, Germany. Their aim was to use the exhibition to
tackle sexist xenophobia and create a space for public dialogue. It drew
extensively on archival materials in Germany and beyond to tell stories
of the histories of women who have worn head coverings for cultural,
traditional, religious, climate, et cetera reasons. By focusing on both
the historical and contemporary wearing of various types of headscarves,
that exhibition drew attention to complexity, ubiquity, normalcy, types
of usage as well as the relations of power manifest in these pieces of
cloth.

Our _Cultures of Head Coverings _Project is at its initial stage, and we
wish to focus on stories of women in British Columbia who wore/wear head
coverings that have special meanings to them. We would like to find out
if there are possible images and narratives you may hold in your
Archives that could inform our research into such stories. We are
looking to identify possible images, objects, and archival materials.
Any advice/directions from you would be most appreciated.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. We are
happy to call you or arrange a zoom meeting. My email is
tlmurphy at uvic.ca .

Thank you, Tracey Murphy