[BCMA] Kelowna Art Gallery - Pip Dryden: Between You and Me

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu May 13 13:52:41 PDT 2021

For Immediate Release

*Pip Dryden: Between You and Me*

On through July 11, 2021

*The Glass Gallery space at the Kelowna Art Gallery*

*May 12, 2021 – Kelowna, BC:* A new exhibition space at the Kelowna Art
Gallery has its inaugural art installation now on view. Kelowna-based
artist Pip Dryden was selected from the many applicants who submitted their
concepts for how the space might creatively be utilized.

“We are so delighted to introduce *The Glass Gallery*, which is intended to
showcase work by artists from the Okanagan,” says Victoria Verge, Education
Coordinator, who is spearheading the project at the Gallery. “Honestly, the
response for our call for submissions was amazing. It made the decision a
tough one, but we are thrilled to present Pip Dryden’s work as the first of
three installations in 2021.”

Pip Dryden, an installation artist and recent graduate of the Visual Arts
program at UBC Okanagan, is the creative force behind *Between You and Me*.
The work features a dining room set up for two all in white — a pair of
chairs, a table, and a cake on a stand under glass. On closer inspection,
viewers may notice that the chairs are constructed from unlikely materials.
One of them is made entirely from needle-felted wool, while the other is
fabricated from chicken wire. And, for those who are curious, it is a
vanilla cake with swiss meringue buttercream icing, and yes, it is real.

“In this piece, I am examining one of the most intimate spaces in my
memory: the dining room,” reads an artistic statement by Pip Dryden. “As
someone who has suffered from anorexia nervosa from a young age, the dining
room is the site of my fears, hatred, anger, and pain. Yet, at the same
time it is also the place where families come together.”

Much of Dryden’s work is rooted in her personal experiences and makes use
of domestic scenes to explore themes such as: anxieties related to eating
disorders, body image, diet culture, and the effects of anorexia and mental
illness on the family.

*Between You and Me* is on view until July 11, 2021. The Glass Gallery
window space is situated adjacent to the main entrance of the Kelowna Art
Gallery and is visible from Water Street.

For more information, visit www.kelownaartgallery.com or call the Gallery
at 250-762-2226.

*- 30 –*

Webpage: https://kelownaartgallery.com/between-you-and-me

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kelownaartgallery

*To arrange an interview, for additional images, or for other media
enquiries, please contact:*

Joshua Desnoyers

Marketing and Events Coordinator

Kelowna Art Gallery