[BCMA] Database Recommendation

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue May 4 12:23:26 PDT 2021

Hi Craig,

We use Past Perfect 5 to manage our collection and archives at the Golden
Museum and have been for years. We're a small museum and our catalogue on
there is about 15 000 items. It can be a pain in the butt occasionally, but
overall we are quite happy with it. For the most part it is super straight
forward and has a lot of functions, some of which we haven't ever had the
chance to utilize. We have the multimedia and networking upgrades, and I
would definitely recommend the multimedia upgrade as it allows you to
include pictures of your artifacts and records. The support they offer is
great and they have a very detailed user guide and many YouTube tutorials
and online resources. With networking and the Multimedia upgrade it cost us
around $2000. The only major downfall is the software is American which
means it runs off the American Nomenclature guidelines. And if you do
something that creates an error, the system freezes instead of closing, but
that rarely happens.

I believe they have a trial version of the software. You can find more
information here: https://www.museumsoftware.com/index.html

Hope that helps!

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 11:04 AM Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv <
listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca> wrote:

> The Beaver Valley and Pend d'Oreille Historical Society (Montrose and
> Fruitvale) needs a database which doesn't involve a monthly or annual
> subscription fee.  This will be used on a laptop yet to be purchased.  The
> Society would appreciate any recommendations for the database and/or the
> laptop.
>
> Craig H.

*Brittany Newman    **(She/Her**) *       Executive Director

Golden Museum and Archives
1302 11th Ave S, Golden BC, V0A 1H0
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/Golden+%26+District+Museum/@51.2922114,-116.9631953,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x5379bf96b43fc203:0x194db531bf58fa85!8m2!3d51.2922129!4d-116.9611077>
PO Box 992, Golden BC, V0A 1H0

T 250 344-5169    |   F 250 344-5169
museum.golden at gmail.com  <museum.golden at gmail.com>  |
https://goldenbcmuseums.com/
Join us on: Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/museum.golden/>  |  Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/museum.golden>

The Golden Museum and Archives operates on the territory of the Ktunaxa
Nation, shared by the Secwepmec Peoples. We are grateful for the privilege
to work and play on their territory.