[BCMA] charged semantics

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Wed Jun 16 10:03:03 PDT 2021

Hi Eileen:

A good question. A non-Indigenous colleague who works closely with First
Nations in the Lower Mainland uses the term 'cultural practices' when
referring to Indigenous cultural activities and land use, past and present.
This seems appropriate to me.

I've recently read Daniel Marshall's 'Those Who Fell from the Sky, A
History of the Cowichan Peoples' (1999). Qwustenahun, Chair of the Cowichan
History Book Committee, writes in the preface of "...the very first
Cowichan peoples, whose traditions we still practice today...."

As you note, I would ask the Ktunaxa how they refer to their activities,
and follow their guidance.

Doug

Doug Munday
dougmundaydesign.com | 778-919-6279