[BCMA] [MEDIA RELEASE] Local artists explore bare human form

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Thu Jun 24 10:52:55 PDT 2021

For Immediate Release

Local artists explore bare human form at Kelowna Art Gallery

Undressed: Members Exhibition
June 19 to September 12, 2021

June 24, 2021 - Kelowna, BC: Over sixty local artists answered a call from the Kelowna Art Gallery for new or recently completed works of art that explore the bare human form.

The resulting submissions for the group show titled Undressed differ greatly and include painting, sculpture, drawing, mixed media, photography, textiles, and digital media.

"Every year, we are thrilled to see the variety of works contributed by our talented members for this annual exhibition," says Nataley Nagy, Executive Director at the Gallery. "We weren't sure what the response would be to this year's theme, however I think the sheer number of works and the depth of thought invested in these challenging pieces speaks for itself."

For thousands of years, the human form has fascinated visual artists and inspired countless historical and contemporary works of art. Through every era, representations of the nude have reflected changes in cultural attitudes towards sexuality, gender roles, and social structures. And now, residents and visitors can take a walk through this collection of recent artistic expressions created by local artists, to see how some of their friends and neighbours interpreted this theme.

Undressed is currently on view in both The Front project space and the Art Lab area of the Gallery. Both areas are free and open to the public.

A digital publication has been produced to accompany the exhibition with reproductions of the 61 artworks along with information about the artist and their piece. It can be accessed online at www.kelownaartgallery.com<http://www.kelownaartgallery.com>.

Members Exhibition: Undressed runs until September 12, 2021.

The Kelowna Art Gallery offers four exhibition spaces that showcase changing contemporary and historical Canadian art and is located at 1315 Water Street in the heart of the Cultural District in downtown Kelowna.

- 30 -

List of Participating Artists: https://kelownaartgallery.com/members-exhibition-undressed<https://kelownaartgallery.com/members-exhibition-undressed/>

Exhibition Webpage: https://kelownaartgallery.com/members-exhibition-undressed<https://kelownaartgallery.com/members-exhibition-undressed/>
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kelownaartgallery<https://www.instagram.com/kelownaartgallery/>