[BCMA] Museums & Taxes

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Jun 21 08:00:00 PDT 2021

Our municipality is gradually reducing the rates of tax exemption it offers
to all non-profits. I’m interested in hearing from other museums/historical
societies who own their own land and pay some or all of their property
taxes. Are you under Class 6: Business & Other (where most societies are
put) or has anybody been able to be put under Class 8: Recreation &
Non-Profit? (See image below about class 8). We’ve been told that our
museum doesn’t fit class 8 as it is not used solely as an outdoor
recreational facility (despite the fact that we do have equipment displayed
outdoors on part of the property). My email address is below.

Thanks,
Heather Sjoblom

Manager/Curator
Fort St. John North Peace Museum