[BCMA] Virtual Event Announcement

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Jun 15 12:50:40 PDT 2021

 Hello Museum Friends,

To mark National Indigenous Peoples Day, the Vancouver Maritime Museum
(VMM) is hosting Indigenous storytelling and a medicine pouch workshop.

*Raven Tales & Medicine Pouch Workshop *is a virtual National Indigenous
Peoples Day celebration on *June 19, 2021 at 1:00 p.m*. featuring
storytelling, a short film and a lesson in making a healing medicine pouch.

The virtual event will begin with an acknowledgement by Musqueam artist
Martin Sparrow. Kwakwaka’wakw storyteller Simon Winadzi James will share
stories about his people’s connection with the sea. James will also screen
a short animated film, Raven Tales Dream, Dream, Dream about a young boy
whose dreams tell him to create something wonderful.

“This is a universal story of being a parent and protecting your child from
those who bully that child,” says James “I often use this episode in grade
3 and up as a message about bullying and how we can stop it together. It
also has a marine theme to it.”

Syilx weaver and cedar harvester Shona Sparrow will lead a workshop in
making a healing medicine pouch. As she shares the traditional knowledge
involved with making a medicine pouch, Sparrow will talk about connecting
with the land and water and about Indigenous values.

“We thank Martin, Simon and Shona for generously sharing their knowledge
and traditions,” says VMM Programs Coordinator Kanchan Lal.

The ticket price of $50 covers the cost of materials for a healing medicine
pouch. Participants can pick up the medicine pouch supplies at the
Vancouver Maritime Museum.

For more information about the *Raven Tales & Medicine Pouch Workshop*,
visit the event page.
<https://vanmaritime.com/raven-tales-medicine-pouch-workshop/>

Melanie Jeffs
*Marketing Coordinator*
Vancouver Maritime Museum
1905 Ogden Avenue | Vancouver, BC V6J 1A3
604.257.8302
www.vanmaritime.com

We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territories of the
xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and sel̓íl̓witulh
(Tsleil-Waututh).