[BCMA] [MEDIA RELEASE] Gallery initiative rewards local Healthcare Heroes

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Jun 15 07:30:08 PDT 2021

For Immediate Release

Gallery initiative rewards local Healthcare Heroes

June 15, 2021 - Kelowna, BC: It was the questions, "what could we do to thank local healthcare professionals?" and "how could we utilize art in doing so?" that prompted a recent gesture from the Kelowna Art Gallery.

During the month of May, the Kelowna Art Gallery extended free admission to local healthcare staff and invited those who were interested, to take advantage of a complimentary one-year membership.

"As you might imagine, we had a lot of people take us up on the offer," says Ady Miller, Operations Manager at the Gallery. "We believe in the power of art to relieve stress and were happy to provide an escape from a reality that, in the past few months, has been challenging to say the least."

Several hundred annual memberships were distributed during May and many took advantage of the complimentary admission offered throughout the month, including healthcare professionals from Kelowna General Hospital, Kelowna Hospice House, and Cottonwoods Care Centre, amongst others.

The Gallery currently has five exhibition spaces at the downtown location and a satellite exhibition space at the Kelowna International Airport for guests to explore. They continue to offer weekly programming, much of it accessible online and broadcast virtually, like their popular weekly Family Sundays art projects for children.

"It's a small gesture, but we hope, a meaningful one that lets these heroes know how much we appreciate what they have done for our community," says Ady Miller.

The Kelowna Art Gallery is located at 1315 Water Street. For more information, visit www.kelownaartgallery.com<http://www.kelownaartgallery.com> or call the Gallery at 250-762-2226.

- 30 -

Webpage: https://kelownaartgallery.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kelownaartgallery<https://www.instagram.com/kelownaartgallery/>