[BCMA] [MEDIA RELEASE] Local university art students to lead camps this summer at Gallery

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Fri Jun 11 10:08:48 PDT 2021

For Immediate Release

Local university art students to lead camps this summer at Gallery

June 11, 2021 – Kelowna, BC: The Kelowna Art Gallery is offering parents and their children the opportunity to choose their own “Art Adventure” this summer.

The return of their popular summer camps is welcome news for many, and they are now available in two different but equally exciting options. An at-home “Camp Kit” version comes complete with everything young artists need to tackle five fabulous projects, while the more traditional in-person camps will once again be offered in reduced capacities for half-days during July and August.

Curating the “art adventures” that participants (ages 6 to 12) will experience this year are two talented university students, Aubrey Creasor and Victoria Russell.

Aubrey Creasor is currently a student in the Bachelor of Arts program at UBC Okanagan, focusing on psychology and visual arts. An avid skier, dog-lover (training her dalmatian as a therapy dog), and artist, she says, “I can’t wait for a fun summer spent working with the kids and creating art with them. I’m so grateful for this opportunity and for the experience which I will take away and use on my path towards becoming an art therapist.”

Victoria Russell is in her fourth year of the Bachelor of Fine Arts program at Thompson Rivers University, which will be a step towards her goal of becoming an art teacher. She is a lover of all things’ dinosaurs, biology, and nature, as well as an avid reader. Victoria says, “I am so excited to be part of this wonderful program at the Kelowna Art Gallery. I hope to make it a fantastic experience for all the kids in the community — where they can have fun and learn some great new techniques and encounter ideas that will continue to inspire them in the future.”

No matter which camp option is chosen, children can expect to explore a variety of drawing, painting, printmaking, mixed media, and sculptural activities while having an awesome time (and perhaps even learning a thing or two). Class sizes for all the Gallery’s camps are limited, which allows for individual instruction and enriches the experience for all participants. In person camps adhere to current provincial health guidelines and are limited to eight participants to ensure safe social distancing practices are followed.

The cost for the at-home camp kit (supplies and projects included) is $75.00 or $60.00 for members. The cost for a week of half day in person camps at the Gallery is $120.00 or $96.00 for members.

For more information, visit www.kelownaartgallery.com<http://www.kelownaartgallery.com> or call the Gallery at 250-762-2226.

- 30 –

Webpage: https://kelownaartgallery.com/art-camps<https://kelownaartgallery.com/art-camps/>
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kelownaartgallery<https://www.instagram.com/kelownaartgallery/>