[BCMA] Seeking recommendations for textile cleaning

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Mon Jul 26 17:40:05 PDT 2021

Hello Melissa
Depending on the fragility of the dress this is something you might be able to do yourself or you could take it to a dry cleaner, but only if you really trust them. Otherwise you can send it to a conservator.

Check out CCI notes, they have one on commercial dry cleaning of museums textiles and on mechanical surfacing cleaning that you can do yourself.
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cci-icc/documents/services/conservation-preservation-publications/canadian-conservation-institute-notes/13-13-eng.pdf
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cci-icc/documents/services/conservation-preservation-publications/canadian-conservation-institute-notes/13-16-eng.pdf

Kelowna Museums does do conservation work for other museums. If you are interested in having me take a virtual look I might be able to give you some advice. You can email me at nbose at kelownamuseums.ca<mailto:nbose at kelownamuseums.ca>

Nikki Bose
Curator of Collections
Kelowna Museum Society