[BCMA] [MEDIA RELEASE] Shuswap waterways muse for Kelowna-based artist Jane Everett

Moderated BCMA subscriber listserv listserv at lists.museum.bc.ca
Tue Jul 13 09:14:26 PDT 2021

For Immediate Release

Shuswap waterways muse for Kelowna-based artist Jane Everett

Jane Everett: Onyx Creek
June 2021 to June 2022

at the Kelowna Art Gallery's offsite exhibition space
at the Kelowna International Airport (YLW)

July 13, 2021 - Kelowna, BC: A newly opened installation of large-scale paintings at Kelowna International Airport brings scenes from the outdoors inside for travellers to encounter.

Onyx Creek presents three abstract oil paintings by Kelowna-based artist Jane Everett that celebrate the astonishing diversity of life found in riparian areas and along waterways.

The three beautiful and dramatic works capture the effect of the morning sun, bathing the waterscapes in reflected light from all directions. Everett was inspired by her memories of paddling through the mouths of local creeks near her country studio in the Shuswap. She cites the influence of American abstract expressionist painter Helen Frankenthaler (1928-2011) in this series of work.

The titles of the paintings together form a three-line poem describing the arc of an experience in this setting: we parked near line 17, you moved off with your camera, and I soon lost sight of you.

With travel restrictions within Canada easing, airports are becoming increasingly busy. While many seem intent on returning to the mad hustle of pre-COVID life, travellers at YLW can choose to pause for a moment before the departure gates and reflect on the ethereal moments found in nature that linger with us long after we leave.

Jane Everett's practice in drawing and painting is intimately connected to the lakes and forests of the interior of British Columbia. She often explores the intersection between the fabricated and natural worlds. Everett has exhibited nationally and recently her exhibition Understory was shown at the Kelowna Art Gallery. She divides her time between Kelowna and her art studio in the Shuswap.

Onyx Creek can be seen near the security screening area of Kelowna International Airport until June of 2022.

The Kelowna Art Gallery is located at 1315 Water Street. For more information, visit www.kelownaartgallery.com or call the Gallery at 250-762-2226.

- 30 -

[image captions]

Jane Everett, you moved off with your camera, 2020, oil and oil stick on canvas, 66 x 107 in.
Photo: Yuri Akuney, Digital Perfections

Jane Everett, you moved off with your camera, 2020, oil and oil stick on canvas, 66 x 107 in.
Photo: Yuri Akuney, Digital Perfections

Jane Everett at her Shuswap Studio. Courtesy of the Artist.

Installation photograph of Jane Everett: Onyx Creek at the Kelowna International Airport (June 2021)

Exhibition Webpage: https://kelownaartgallery.com/onyx-creek

For media enquiries, please contact:

Joshua Desnoyers
Marketing and Events Coordinator